Sound Patterns!

I recently had a planning meeting with Mrs. Grigg at Ratcliffe Elementary. We were talking about patterns in math and we were both over doing the same old thing with her 5th graders. Mrs. Grigg and I started planning it out and we decided to do patterns with sound. We figured not only would this be covering our math SOL but we could use this as a little preview for the sound SOL in science.

We started off by showing the students this example.

After the class determined what type of pattern this was Mrs. Grigg and I showed the students the pattern visually.

Now was the time for each student to create their own sound pattern. Before the lesson I pulled a sound pack from freesound.org for the students to use. You can download the sound pack here for free. The students had a blast picking out the right sounds to make their patterns. It was most definitely loud at times, but every student was engaged.

Once the students created their video, they uploaded it to a shared google folder. Now other students can watch their classmates’ videos and figure out the pattern. Mrs. Grigg can use this later on as a quick 5 minute review before or after a lesson. Check out one of the examples below!

This entry was posted in 5th Grade, Google Drive, Windows Movie Maker. Bookmark the permalink.

Sound Patterns!

Sound Patterns!