Scrabble Slam

In planning for our upcoming Tech Takeout at Montrose, I wanted to get some fresh ideas, so I consulted with one of our awesome Title I teachers. She mentioned a fun card game called Scrabble Slam. After playing a couple rounds, I ordered the Scrabble Slam cards on Amazon, and then started thinking of how I could turn this into a digital game for students.

I decided to create a Scrabble Slam Flip Chart for students to manipulate to build as many words as they could following the same word features. For example, if the word was CVCe with a long vowel, they students could start with the word “take” and the next player could change it to “bake.” They could even change the vowel as long as the pattern and long vowel sound match. For example, “cone” could be changed to “cane.”
 photo ScrabblePic_zpsknh20cku.jpg

I tried this is a 2nd grade class at Trevvett as a word study station. The students loved trying to think of new words that had the same pattern. They also really enjoyed jotting down the words that were created and keeping track of who could make the most valuable word (according to the points on the Scrabble tile).

Feel free to download a copy of the Scrabble Slam Flipchart and modify it for your students. There are some example slides and a template side that you can change up for your student’s word features each week.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.