Order of Operations Stop Motion Movies

Mrs. Woodard reached out a few weeks ago about wanting to try Stop Motion movies with her students. I cringed slightly because she also mentioned Math, and I can’t lie 5th grade Math makes me nervous! She assured me if I carried the technology portion she would rock on with the Math concepts and of course she did. I entered her room to the sounds of mathematical raps, iPads and art pastels. I knew right away we were going to have a great time.

Students had to create their own order of operation problem for homework the night before. Woodard had checked for understanding and then the students partnered up to begin their Stop Motion movies.

Stop Motion is a super easy app to use. One student was in charge of the iPad and the other student worked on the math portion. Stop Motion allows you to take lots of images and then play them on a loop as an animation. Woodard’s students broke down their math problem into smaller sections and took pictures of each part of their problem. When they had worked out their whole problem they went back and recorded themselves explaining the problem. They saved their videos the the camera roll and then shared them with their teacher using the Send Anywhere app. Check out some of their finished projects.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.