Hour of Code – December 5th – 11th!

The Hour of Code week is coming up December 5 – 11! The hope is you take one hour out of that week to do a coding activity. A ton of activities can be found on Code.org’s Hour of Code page. The hour of code is great because it is a self contained lesson that will be finished in an hour or less. You don’t have to worry about students not finishing their work or having to extend the lesson into another subject.

What is the Hour of Code?
Just as the name states, it’s an hour of coding for your students. Students can choose from a few different lessons. Each lesson lasts no more than an hour. Students watch a short video and then follow an interactive tutorial. At the end of the tutorial students will have a playable game that they created. One of my favorites is having students complete a Flappy Bird game.

Are my students too young to code?
Nope! The interactive tutorials are great for any elementary age child, even pre-readers!

Do I have to make an account?
Nope! You can go through all of the tutorials without signing in. You can create accounts for your students to save their work but it’s not required!

How do I get my students excited about the Hour of Code?
Check out Code.org’s YouTube Channel. You’ll find a bunch of short videos that explain the Hour of Code and why coding is important.

I’m ready to go beyond the Hour of Code. What do I do now?
Check out henriCode! We have great lesson starters to get your class coding with the curriculum!

If you’re ready to get started let me know! I would love to help you get you rolling!

This entry was posted in 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, Coding, General Announcements, Kindergarten. Bookmark the permalink.