All About Me With iPads!

Today I worked with Theresa Harris, the librarian at Glen Allen Elementary School to make All About Me flags with 1st graders.  The 1st graders were talking about patriotic symbols so we thought this was the perfect time to combine Social Studies and the iPads!

This was the first time that they had used the iPads in the library so we wanted to show them a couple of apps that the students could use across the curriculum for a number of activities.  We decided on using Doodle Buddy and Pic Collage Kids.  These are two simple apps that students can use for so many activities in the classroom, I love both of them so much!

We started the activity by giving the students a template of the flag.  I uploaded the flag to Google Drive, changed the privacy settings to public on the web, created a QR code for it,  and then shared it with the students.  The flag was saved to the camera roll and then brought into Doodle Buddy as the background.  The students used the stamp tool and the drawing tool to decorate their flags to represent themselves.  Once their flags were complete the students saved it to the camera roll.

The students opened up Pic Collage Kids and added the flag as a picture.  Some of the flags came in sideways or upside down, but fixing the picture in Pic Collage is really easy because you can move and rotate it with your fingers.  Once their flag was added the students snapped a picture of themselves from right within the app and then saved the finished product to the camera roll.  I used my Google Work Collector to save all of their work to my Google Drive.  The kids did great, and had a blast!

This entry was posted in 1st Grade, All About Me, Doodle Buddy, Glen Allen, ipad, Library, Patriotic Symbols, Pic Collage Kids, Social Studies. Bookmark the permalink.