2nd Grade CheckThis Inference Sites!

Ms. Ketcham’s class at Crestview Elementary School did a great job working on inferences.  For this lesson we used a website called CheckThis.  I absolutely love this site because it easily gives the students the ability to create their own webpage.  When I was in the classroom teaching 3rd grade Julie Smith, my ITRT at the time, showed me this resource.  My kids took off with it and started creating websites about everything we were learning in school.

With Ms. Ketcham’s class we started the lesson off by talking about inferences.  I showed the class a couple of TV commercials the heavily relied on inference skills.  We discussed how we knew how the actors in the commercials felt even though it wasn’t specifically stated for us.  As soon as the class had a good grasp on inferences we headed over to CheckThis to start on our websites.  The students used the polling feature found in CheckThis so that their classmates could vote on their emotion.  The students titled their post, added their name, and then took a picture of themselves displaying any emotion.  Students then had to write a very short sentence explaining their picture without stating their emotion.  Once the students finished their site the published it and pasted the link to a collaborative Google Doc so they could visit one another’s websites.   Check out an example below:

This entry was posted in 2nd Grade, CheckThis, Crestview, Google Docs, Inference, Language Arts. Bookmark the permalink.