Comparing Numbers and Place Value With PixiClip!

In Ms. Giorgis’ third grade class we used an awesome tool called PixiClip!  It looks like it’s still in the beta version which is even more exciting.  Since it is so great early on I’m pumped to see where this goes!  Julie Smith, Jessica Robinson, and I planned this together.  Since I was new to this tool, they were so nice and helped me out!  Once I started working with it I quickly realized how easy it is and how much the kids are going to love it!

We made number cards for the students with Google Slides.  I dropped them in the student server to share them with the students.  Before we started the lesson I wrote directions on the board.  I had the students draw a green smiley face above the ones place, draw a blue square around the ten thousands place, etc.  The students saved the pictures to their desktops and we started rolling.  To import pictures into PixiClip it’s as easy as dragging and dropping.  The students clicked the picture that they wanted to use and dropped it into PixiClip, pressed record, and started following the directions that I gave them.  I love this tool because you can annotate while recording video.  When the students finished their video they copied the embed code and pasted it on a shared Google Doc so that I had access to everyone’s work.

Tools such as these are so powerful because it gives teachers an amazing insight into how the student is thinking.  It can be used to find where students are going wrong in their thought processes, or even highlight a way the student is thinking differently about a topic in school.  Check out some of the great work below!  The embedded videos cut off the digit in the hundred thousands place, so to see the whole picture click the PixiClip logo at the bottom of the video.

This entry was posted in 3rd Grade, Comparing Numbers, Google Docs, Math, PixiClip. Bookmark the permalink.