Call Number Decimal Ordering

I was so excited when Mrs. Reid asked me to come into her two math blocks today! She told me that her students had been working on ordering decimals. After I dusted the cobwebs off my 5th grade math brain I headed to Pinterest. What? Don’t we all go there for ideas first? I saw a pin where students were ordering books based on their call numbers. I thought this was brilliant but I wanted to put a techy spin on it! Mrs. Reid’s kids had practiced logging into Google last week so I thought it was only appropriate to continue with our Google excursions! I worked with Mrs. Reid to create a Google presentation where the students collaborated with a partner (or two) to arrange books in decimal order based on their call numbers.

Some students were able to use the chat feature found in Google and work with their peers silently. Others weren’t as lucky and they had to communicate with the “notes” box found below their slides. After the students had been given enough time to arrange their decimals we inserted a selfie on their first slide so that when Mrs. Reid went back to check their work she could tell whose slide show belonged to who. We projected the slide show up on Mrs. Reid’s Promethean Board and used the pen tool to manipulate the decimals to the correct order! Check out their awesome work!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.