How I Spent My Summer Vacation – Part 2

In the last post I talked about the first session that I taught called Digital Creations. If you didn’t read that one check it out. I have a few ideas on how you can use Photoshop and Premiere Pro in your classroom.

The second session that I taught was called the 3Cs. The Cs stand for create, code, and critically think. This was by far my favorite one to teach. The entire class was dedicated to students working on their final projects. They were tasked to code a video game, design a usable controller for the game, and design and print a 3D logo for their game. Let’s break down how they completed each part of this project.

Video Game:

The students used Scratch to code their video games. For most of the class this was their first time using the program. For those of you who may not know, Scratch is a website where students can code a program. Instead of having to know a specific language, students just drag connecting blocks into a work space.

To get the students ready to code I first had them do the Hour of Code and then use the Scratch cards. Click Here for a detailed how to get started guide. From there the students let their imaginations run wild.

Check out this gallery of fun games the students created.
https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/1438156/

Controller:

The students used a MaKey MaKey to design the controllers for their games. What I like most about the MaKey MaKey students are able to use a variety of materials for their interface. Here’s a picture of one of the controllers:

What to know more about the MaKey MaKey? Check out this video:

Logo:

The students designed their 3D logo in Tinkercad. Tinkercad is a powerful, free website where students are able to design 3D shapes. After the students designed their logo, we then printed their creation using the Cube 3D printer. Check out one of their awesome creations below.

Want to try out something similar? Contact me and let’s get planning!

This entry was posted in 3D Printing, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, Coding, Makey Makey. Bookmark the permalink.