How I Spent My Summer Vacation – Part 1

I hope that you had a fun relaxing break! I’m beyond excited about this new school year. I’m ready to plan great lessons with you and try out some new tools!

During my break I taught two summer enrichment sessions. I had a BLAST! It was astonishing to see what the students were able to produce. The students did such a wonderful job I just had to share it.

The first class I taught was called Digital Creations. Here students learned how to use Photoshop and Premiere Pro, a powerful video editing program. The students learned so much in these two weeks. I was amazed at the end of the session of what the students were able to create.

Check out this picture and short video some students created in the class.

In this video students explain need to know facts about Minecraft.

In order to create this video these students had to do a few steps. First they shot the video of themselves. Then they photoshopped all of those images so that there was no background. Finally the they put the video along with the images in Premiere Pro. They then had to place and images on the video at the correct time and move the images off at the correct time. Awesome!

Now the question is what practical application does this have in your classroom? Let’s break it down by program.

Photoshop:

• Have the students Photoshop their face onto a historic picture and write about it. This not only ties in the social studies but also writing. This would be something the students could work on during their literacy stations.
  • Photoshop a crazy picture and then write about it. Maybe have a giant cat running through a city. Task the students with writing what happens while the cat is there. This would be a great time for students to work on descriptive writing.
  • Have the students create a collage of many different pictures to demonstrate their understanding of a concept.
  • Have the students create persuasive posters. Have them image they are living in the time of Jamestown. They have to convince people to come to the New World.

Premiere Pro:

• Have the students create book trailers where pictures from the book come across the screen. The students can make it appear as if they are coming from the book. This will get other students interested and make them want to read.
  • The student can make a video showing different math facts. They can have different pictures representing their facts come across the screen.
  • Students can interview historical figures.

These are just a few of the ideas that you could do in your classroom. If you want to try out any of these contact me and let’s get planning!

Next blog post I’ll tell you all about the second session.

This entry was posted in 4th Grade, 5th Grade, PhotoShop, Premiere Pro. Bookmark the permalink.