States of Matter with Kindergarteners

I was excited to work with Ms. Daniels’ kindergarten class at Shady Grove.  They were going to start learning about states of matter this week and she wanted me to create an introductory lesson about the topic.  Using a site called EDpuzzle, the class watched a short video about solids, liquids, and gases. The neat thing about this website is that your own questions can be embedded within the video clips. Older grades would be able to have students watch the videos independently and answer questions (instant formative assessment data for teachers). However, since this was a kindergarten class, I showed the video as a whole group part of the lesson.
edpuzzle
After using EDpuzzle, we transitioned to the ipads and used an app called Stick Around. I borrowed a solids, liquids, and gases template made by a kindergarten teacher I used to work with…she created the puzzle all by herself (it’s that easy!) and shared it with me. Ms. Daniels’ class did a wonderful job sorting the pictures and were able to get instant feedback about their sort since the app lets you self-check your work.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.