Appy Hour with YAKiT Kids!

Its Friday! Let’s break out a new App for “Appy Hour!”

Today, I got to hang out in Mrs. Short’s class at Echo Lake Elementary. Her class has been learning about what makes day and night and information about the sun. I was originally going to do the same Keynote Movie Activity I did with some Carver Elementary 1st graders a few weeks back, but I learned about this fun app from Alfonso Favale called YAKiT Kids that I just had to try.

YAKit Kids is an app that allows you to make any photo “talk.” You can take a new picture from within the app, or you can choose a picture you already have in your Photos. After taking or choosing your picture, you can add a mouth movement and extra items to the scene. You can even add additional characters to the scene to have a quick conversation. The only hang up I have with the program is that you can only record for 15 seconds, but this also can be good to have students be concise with the information they are going to record. My favorite part about this app is that it will automatically save your final video to your Photos. With many restrictions on the classroom iPads in place, this makes it extremely easy to upload the finished products to your computer using the Dropbox App–you would obviously need to make a Dropbox Account to complete this part.

Mrs. Short’s students had a blast making their videos today! I decided it would be more fun to have the sun explain a little about Day and Night since you can use the cartoon extras within the app to bring any object to life. Here is the quick example I showed the class and two great examples from the students! I can’t wait to use this app with more classes for other projects!

This entry was posted in 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade, 4th Grade, 5th Grade, Blabberize, Collaboration, iPads, Kindergarten, Science, Student Projects, YAKiT. Bookmark the permalink.