Open House! – The Class Set Up.

Many schools around Henrico County had their Open House this afternoon, while the few that are left over are opening their doors tomorrow morning. I have a kindergartner going to school this year, and after many years of preparing a classroom for my students, I get to experience the other side of the table as a parent. I am really excited to see how my daughter reacts to her new environment for the upcoming school year. I can’t wait to see those wide eyes of nervousness, anticipation, fright, and joy all wrapped up into one emotion. She has asked multiple times, “What will my class look like?” She is filled with the wonderment of what she is about to see. Although I always tried to have a great looking room for Open House, being on the other side as a parent, has really opened my eyes to the importance of an inviting classroom for students to feel welcome. It is going to be their 2nd home for the next year, and feeling comfortable when the walk in before day one can go a long way.

Walking into “newly built” classrooms during Open House is one of my favorite things. Every room carries the aura of new beginnings. The feeling that this is going to be the best year ever. Anything is possible. I love checking out my colleagues rooms to gain new ideas on how I can break up the monotony of a classroom. After 10 years of seeing classrooms at many schools, I don’t see much that overly surprises me. Until today…

This morning I walked into Mrs. Javis’ 5th grade classroom at Johnson Elementary. When I first walked in I thought, “Man, having over 30 5th graders is going to be tight!” I quickly realized she had created TWO classroom is one. Mrs. Jarvis has set up 4 tables for her 21 students in the front of her room to use for group work, whole class collaboration, and class discussions. In the back of the room, she has set up actual desks to use for more individualized work–although they are still in little pods of three that could be utilized for small group collaboration. I really like the potential of students being able to have a couple places in the room to call “home.” Only time will tell if this is successful, but I am intrigued none-the-less! Check it out!

This entry was posted in Updates. Bookmark the permalink.