Mystery Skype

I had my first experience with a Mystery Skype today. Thanks to Debra Finger (@teacherdebra) who invited us to participate with her students. The premise is that 2 classes Skype with each other, and using yes/no questions, they have to figure out where the other class is.
I am not sure how Debra had her kids in groups, but my groups were as follows:
Communication Group: On camera talking to other students
Inquirers Group: These were the question writers; who had complete control over prioritizing questions and editing questions to give to kids on camera.

Question Keepers:  Using a Google Doc, kept all questions and answers

Mappers: Finding clues by zooming in on states using various resources.

Clue Keepers:  These students kept track of which states were NOT possible choices.

Runners: Since students weren’t allowed to run around or shout across the room, we had a group of 4 runners who got plenty of exercise!!

The students had to select their own groups, and formulate which resources they would need.  They chose print resources, on-line resources, and even made some of their own resources.  I was amazed at the amount of focus for the one hour session- my students were amazing and everybody was doing their job, plus checking the google doc for what had transpired.  The other students quickly figured out we were in VA, and in Henrico.  We finally figured out their state, but it took us a while to figure out their city.  As soon as we found their city we found their school.  The other group never did figure out which school we were so we finally told them.

Think communication, collaboration, problem solving, research skills and creative thinking and you have an idea of what this was like.

I am ready, willing and able to do more of these next year.  Please email me if you are interested.

This entry was posted in 4th Grade, Examples, Ideas. Bookmark the permalink.