Henrico and VA Beach Students Blog about Blood on the River!

Dr. Kristi Trevillian, a fourth grade teacher at Colonial Trail, and I have been working collaboratively with an elementary school in Virginia Beach on a really cool novel study project utilizing a blog that I created for the activity. The ITRT, Al Doss, at the Virginia Beach school has been posting podcasts of his reading each chapter of the book, Blood on the River, so the teachers can use it as a read aloud. He and I have been posting questions for the students to comment on, activities for them to do, movies for them to watch, and links for them to explore containing interactive activities relative to pertinent topics in the chapters. Notice the awesome glogs that Kristi’s students created on edu.glogster.com. Today we engaged in our 2nd video conference using Elluminate with the class in VA Beach where the students used the charade-type body motions the Native Americans used to communicate with the settlers to share reenactments of scenes from the novel. The principal of Colonial Trail, Phil Cantone, also had me dress up in the “Scout” bear cub mascot costume to share with the other class during the video conference. What fun! Notice the movie trailer I created the students’ field trip to Jamestown. It was an exciting and educational experience for them! I am so proud of Dr. Kristi Trevillian’s endeavors to engage in project-based learning! She is truly an exemplary model of a 21st Century educator who effectively uses me, the ITRT, to make her visions a reality. :)

Click here to access this awesome Jamestown/Blood on the River blog! Please feel free to leave your comments of praise and encouragement to the students of both Henrico and Virginia Beach! :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.