Varsity Players finish season with high hopes for future

by David Stodulski

The varsity baseball team overcame many obstacles, but they have ended the season with high hopes for next year.

“We have a lot of talent coming back, and a lot of talent coming up next year, so we should be solid,” junior center fielder Hunter McKinney said.

Despite ups and downs in the season, Coach Ryan Devlin said that the team worked hard to improve their camaraderie.

“Since I came back on board, the boys have had fun and enjoyed coming to practice and games,” Coach Devlin said. 

Junior right fielder Tyler Rinehart, who last year led the JV team with the highest batting average, worked hard to improve his hitting. He said that pitching on the varsity team is much faster.

“I see the ball. I am just not quick enough yet, and the only way to accomplish hitting 90 miles per hour is seeing more pitchers throw 90 miles per hour,” Tyler said.

Though Tyler struggled to meet his own high expectations, he is coming back next year to try again.

“My goal is to start a position senior year,” Tyler said.

Senior first baseman Dillon Small said that he also worked to improve.

“I think I have given it all I’ve got. I’ve only missed one practice, and at the beginning of the year I was struggling with hitting, but I have gotten better,” Dillon said.

Dillon said that the team will be fine next season.

“They are only going to lose me and Jarrett Poh,” Dillon said. “And they can easily fill my position as first baseman.”

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/06/14/varsity-players-finish-season-with-high-hopes-for-future/