Doubles partners win district championship

by Olivia Stanford

After an undefeated season, doubles partners senior Ashley Milo and junior Toni McDonald won a district championship at Henrico High School to advance to regionals.

“It was an emotional day for me because this would be the last time I participate in districts,” Ashley said.

Ashley wants to go to college and become an elementary teacher or a sports manager, and she wants to play tennis, too.

“I’m looking forward to playing tennis in college and competing against other girls who have the same goals as me,” Ashley said.

Toni’s mom, Sandra McDonald, said that Toni practices three hours a day.

Outside the tennis season, Toni keeps busy by working with children in a camp her father holds in Varina and working as a ball girl for the USTA wheelchair league.

Toni said there are things in her life that are more important than winning matches.

“What is most important to me is being a young Christian woman on the court and showing integrity in your sport,” Toni said.

Toni’s father, Toney McDonald, encouraged Toni to begin playing tennis at the age of seven. He makes it to all of Toni’s matches.

Teammate Zollisca Sunkins said Toni and Ashley are a powerhouse when they play doubles.

“They are magnificent because they know each other’s game like the back of their hands,” Zollisca said.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/06/14/doubles-partners-win-district-championship/