How We Can Change the World

Submitted by: Erin Chalifoux
School: Donahoe Elementary

Summary

As part of the Social Studies curriculum in Kindergarten we learn about Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr. I chose to teach a unit about Dr. King where my students would not only learn about his background and his accomplishments, but would also use their higher level thinking skills. Each student was required to do their own research project to come up with a way that they could make the world a better place. I taught about Dr. King through whole group instruction using several books and activities. These books were meant to teach the students about Dr. King, and the students enriched their knowledge by conducting research and discussing their ideas with a partner. I wanted to incorporate this unit of study into my literacy development for the week. I also created stations based upon this unit. Through the use of stations, I challenged my students to work collaboratively and go beyond the curriculum. The hands-on experiences and collaborative efforts by the students made this unit come alive and also taught the students to solve real world problems that they face in society today.

TIPC Ratings

Ideal/Target: Students were given the sources by the teacher to conduct their own research. They utilized teacher and peer support throughout the entire lesson to be creative in coming up with a way that they could change the world

Ideal/Target: Students worked in pairs to evaluate and come up with their own idea of how they could make the world a better place. Students shared thoughts and ideas as they brainstormed together.

Ideal/Target: Students worked in pairs to evaluate and come up with their own idea of how they could make the world a better place. They used books and technology to solve this real world problem and create their own original ideas.

Approaching: Students expressed their ideas in drawings and writing using paper, pencil, and Pixie. Students then recorded their sentences in VoiceThread.

Student Artifact

https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2011/06/MLK-Jr-Jaryn.jpg

Download Files

https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2011/06/How-We-Can-Change-the-World.zip
Contents:

• Lesson Plan
  • Examples of Student Work
  • Student Rubrics