Golfer leaves football finds success in swing

by Alyssa Swaney

During his freshman year, senior Troy Fiorillo was going to try out for the football team until he went to golf practice with a friend and met golf coach Anthony Sorbello.

“When he came out as a freshman, he hit the ball very well for it being his first time,” Coach Sorbello said. “Golf came natural to him.”

Troy has never looked back on his decision to leave football behind.

“I stuck with golf because I was good at it,” Troy said.

For four years, Troy has been improving his game.

“His desire to do better and his passion for the game drives him to do better,” Coach Sorbello said. “I think most of the improvement that he has done over the years has come from him.”

Troy’s mentor throughout his golf career has been Coach Sorbello.

“He’s been the only person who has been there to help me,” Troy said.

Coach Sorbello said that Troy’s hard work influences the younger players.

“He leads by example. He’s not a very vocal person, but the younger guys see him and how he carries himself, and I think that helps,” Coach Sorbello said.

Senior teammate Abbie Carroll said Troy helps and encourages others.

“He helps us when we are doing something wrong and picks us up when we are down,” Abbie said. “He doesn’t get frustrated when he messes up. He just keeps trying.”

Troy also plays baseball, a sport he would like to continue to play after high school.

Coach Sorbello said that he and Troy work well together.

“It’s almost like a friendship. I can rely on him to be a leader. It’s almost like he’s an assistant coach,” Coach Sorbello said. “He is a likeable young man and makes my job easy.”

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2013/11/19/golfer-leaves-football-finds-success-in-swing/