First Week Success!

We’ve not only survived…but have done it in style!  Your children have learned about many things this week but the most important thing we have done this week was to discuss and demonstrate being ready, respectful, and responsible.  Ask your child what it means to be respectful!  I have been amazed at their politeness and manners!  You have raised lovely children!

Every day is jam-packed with learning and I can assure you that I keep them so busy that they should sleep well every night!  Here’s what’s coming up next week:

Reading

*story elements: character, setting, problem, solution

*building stamina (Ask your child about it!)

*We’re starting a new writing program

Math

*adding and subtracting with regrouping to the 100’s place (Practice makes better!!)

*word problems: understanding, solving, and creating

Social studies

Government

*rights & responsibilities, rules & laws

*levels of government: federal, state, local

*heads of government: President, Governor, County Manager/Mayor

Government Test on Friday

(Ideally – stay tuned!)

Overall

*responsibility

*using the daily binder

*first week of homework

*classroom expectations

*take Reading NWEA

(national reading assessment)

Please put the PTA Back to School night on your calendar!  I’d love to see you all at Donahoe on Wednesday, September 25th at 6:00 pm.  You’ll get to hear about some of the things your child has been learning and will have the opportunity to ask questions!  Please consider joining the PTA this year.  It’s only $5.00 and the money goes straight to your children’s activities and classrooms.  The class with the most families joining usually earns a pizza party – so I’d never argue with that!  I’m joining – are you?

Homework will begin next week, so expect to see it EVERY NIGHT!  Your child will also be bringing home their Daily Binder (with an explanation note for you to read and sign).  Their agenda book will have each night’s homework and requires parent signature.  Any questions are certainly welcome when they arise!

Remember to check out our blog and think about signing up for Remind101 on your phone or e-mail!  Check your child’s back to school blue folder for a paper to tell you how to sign up.  11 parents are already receiving text/e-mail updates!  If you want another copy e-mail or send me a note!

If you haven’t already, please go to http://www.tinyurl.com/beckinfo and fill out contact information for your child.  I am the only one to use this information and I promise to not share it!  Have a great weekend and we’ll see you on Monday!

wabeck@henrico.k12.va.us     https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/wabeck     (804) 328-4035