Students learn year-round

By Sierra Spain and Lindsey McKim

Summertime brings to mind beach trips, 90-degree weather and no school, but some students and teachers use this time to further their education.

Senior Arayana Harris will take English, a math and an elective course at Hampton University for five weeks. Arayana’s goal is to receive credit for AP tests and take classes that will enable her to graduate college a year early.

“It’ll be nice to get ahead, and it will cost less than taking the classes during the actual school year,” Arayana said. “Everybody at the school said it was a great opportunity.”

Some seniors will attend college over the summer to focus on their athletics.  Senior Nik Nunez will attend James Madison University to focus on his position on the football team and get ahead academically.

Nik said that summer classes are mandatory for the football team, and they help players adjust to college life.

“It’ll help me be better during the season because I’ll be adjusted to college life and have six hours down in classes,” Nik said.

Underclassmen take advantage of Henrico County online classes.

Sophomore Antanaja Wilson will take Personal Economics and Finance online to make room in her schedule for other classes.

“During the school year, I will know how to manage myself and can be more dedicated to my other classes instead of worrying about economics,” Antanaja said.

Some teachers advance their education with summer classes.

Television instructor Brad Viar will take classroom and behavior management online at UVA at Wise to obtain his teaching license.

Obtaining licensure will enable Mr. Viar to continue teaching at Varina, which he loves.

“Hopefully next year, I will be able to apply things I’ve learned and better manage my classroom and create a better environment there,” Mr. Viar said.

AP calculus and geometry teacher Kaitlin Bookbinder will work on the 2017 Item and Test Review Committee for geometry. The committee looks at SOLs and assesses its fairness and equity. One of Ms. Bookbinder’s roles in the county is to create professional development for its geometry teachers.

Ms. Bookbinder has previously spent summers attending conferences to further her teaching and professional skills.

“It helps me to stay in tune with education these days,” Ms. Bookbinder said. “It helps to see how other people learn things and learn to do stuff.”

Students who have failed SOL tests during the school year may enroll in Project Graduation, a remediation program that may to lead to them passing SOLS and graduating over the summer.

AP English teacher Christine Suders taught Project Graduation during the summers of 2012- 2015.

“It’s nice to watch kids pass the SOL, and it’s a tangible reward for the work you put in,” Mrs. Suders said.

Project Graduation allowed Mrs. Suders to help students and to teach a writing course different from her regular schedule.

“Anytime you do something different, it makes you better,” Mrs. Suders said.  “I think any professional who branches out can benefit from doing something

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2017/06/20/drama-club-puts-modern-twist-on-great-gatsby/