Three teachers receive awards for excellence

By Lindsey McKim and Sierra Spain

Three faculty members received awards and recognition for their hard work inside and outside of the classroom.

World languages department leader and Spanish teacher Jackelyn Badea became Varina’s Teacher of the Year. School social worker Rachel Klein won the Christie Award, and exceptional education teacher Whitney Primus received the New Teacher of the Year Award.

Ms. Badea, who will compete to become Henrico County’s Teacher of the Year, said that she tries to reach each student and to accommodate individual needs.

“I expect nothing lower than 100 percent from them, and they know it. So I give them 100 percent,” Ms. Badea said.

Associate principal Cody Streightiff said that Ms. Badea translated for a student to help administrators provide transportation home after school.

“She does so much,” Mr. Streightiff said. “She really puts her heart into Varina.”

Ms. Badea motivates her students to use the language they are learning outside of class, according to Spanish II teacher Desiree Kochel.

“She’s very positive, organized and motivational,” Mrs. Kochel said. “She inspires you to be a better person and teacher.”

Senior Angie Arrant, a previous student of Ms. Badea, said that Ms. Badea makes sure her students succeed.

“I think her personality is different. It’s fun and upbeat,” Angie said.

The Christie Award, won by Ms. Klein, goes to a staff member who serves a supportive role such as a school counselor, case manager, psychologist or social worker.

Ms. Klein works with students to address issues such as anger, depression and anxiety. She uses individual and group counseling with students and their families.

Mr. Streightiff said that Ms. Klein helps students to make changes that will benefit them in the classroom.

“She is instrumental in helping kids through non-educational things that they are dealing with,” Mr. Streightiff said. “She helps them function in the real world, which will help them function in the class.”

Ms. Klein said that receiving the Christie Award has inspired her to continue what she’s doing.

“It feels like you’re a part of a family working here, so to be nominated by my peers was a very cool experience,” Ms. Klein said.

Faculty members also nominated Ms. Primus for New Teacher of the Year Award. This is awarded to a teacher with no prior teaching experience.

“She is doing exceptionally well in a difficult area in terms of being a case manager and a teacher of an SOL class,” Mr. Streightiff said.

Ms. Primus said she was surprised to receive this award.

“It is definitely an honor and exciting.” Ms. Primus said.  “It’s nice to know that the work I do is valued.”

Ms. Primus said she likes to keep her classroom environment fun and strives to change things up with scavenger hunts and interactive activities.

“I think it’ll push me to continue doing the best that I can and doing what I need to do so my students can succeed, and obviously just finding new things that work for all of the students,” Ms. Primus said.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2017/06/19/game-of-the-week-girls-track-and-field/