Column: Going Miley gets props for wrong reasons

by Ashley Loving

Watching Miley Cyrus become a wild, sexual woman has shocked America.

As Hannah Montana in the television series, Miley was a role model for teenage girls. Now, she has erased her Disney Channel history, shedding her long brown locks and her clothes.

On the televised Video Music Awards, Miley stripped down to a nude bikini. Before the national audience could recover from the shock of her outfit choice, she threw them for another spin by “twerking” on Robin Thicke and LICKING him. Let us not forget that Robin is a MARRIED man. When America thought the performance could not get worse, Miley pulled out a foam finger and performed sexual acts with it.

But everyone already knows this. The real thing to look at is what all of this has done to her.

This all began with Miley wanting to erase her past. No matter how hard she tries, it will never happen. Rewinding a couple years back, Miley played the part of Ronnie, the main character in her movie, “The Last Song.” Ronnie was in a relationship with Will, played by Liam Hemsworth. That movie relationship transformed from film to real life. Liam proposed. They got engaged. Miley seemed to be happy and ready to settle down until her stunt at the Video Music Awards, which cost her much more than bad reviews. The engagement was called off because Liam was embarrassed by his fiancé.

So was Robin Thicke’s mother. His MOTHER.

She said, “I was not expecting her to be putting her butt that close to my son. The problem is now I can never ‘unsee’ it.” She went on to say, “I just keep thinking of her mother and father watching this. Oh, Lord, have mercy.”

Soon after the engagement was called off, Miley made a music video called “Wrecking Ball” where she is completely nude. I really like the song, but I do not understand why she had to be naked. In fact, I like all of her new songs, just not the visuals she chooses to provide. She tried to justify her nudity as a symbol of the broken engagement stripping her down and wrecking her.

Miley is an example of what happens when you “disrespect yourself” to get attention–negative attention, that is–and more and more, girls seem to think that risky behavior is okay.

Diana, a girl I knew, was raised in a Christian home to have good morals. She had a good life and a supportive family. Nevertheless, she hit a low point in her life and felt worthless and unwanted. Attention from older guys made her feel special. Then, one of the boys asked her for a revealing picture, and she sent it. Years later, people who Diana never even met are keeping the picture in circulation. Diana will never be able to take that back. She made a decision that will haunt her for the rest of her life.

This just goes to show that one bad choice can lead to a future of regret and embarrassment. I want YOU never to end up like Miley or Diana. I want YOU to know that you don’t need to impress anyone or be someone you’re not for people to like you. Be YOU and never let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2013/11/19/column-going-miley-gets-props-for-wrong-reasons/