Teen parents face unexpected changes

by Justin Bartlett and Jordan Hanford

She wakes up early every morning to wash the face of her two-month-old son and change his diaper. She has little time to dress and do her hair before she takes baby Jaden to his father’s house. Then she heads to school.

While other high school students wake up thinking about homework, social lives and extracurricular activities, senior Stephanie Wright has her mind on the responsibilities of caring for her child.

Stephanie learned she was pregnant during summer school.

“It made my school work hard. Normally, when I go home it’s just work, work, work, but now when I go home, I have to focus on baby, you know make sure baby’s needs are met,” Stephanie said.

Stephanie said that having a child has restricted her from doing what she wants to do because her child comes before a social life.

“There are things that I can’t do that I used to do as far as going out and hanging out with friends,” Stephanie said. “I make the best of what I’ve got, because Jaden is my blessing. He is,” Stephanie said.

Stephanie said her child would not hinder the accomplishment of her goals. She said everything she does is for her son and his future.

“It doesn’t stop me,” Stephanie said. “I’m going to move on to make the best for me and my son because it’s just a stepping stone that I have to overcome,” Stephanie said.

Senior Marvin Brown recently became a father. Considered by friends to be humorous and outgoing on campus, Marvin said he had to mature quickly when he found out his girlfriend was pregnant.

“My mom told me I had no other choice than to be there [for the baby],” Marvin said.

As a father, Marvin has distanced himself from non-supportive friends.

“I can’t be the young, playful, always joking-around kid I used to be, so now I have to step up, be a man. Certain people may look at me differently for, you know, what has taken place, but I don’t care because I have responsibilities just like the next person,” Marvin said.

Stephanie and Marvin said that students should delay pregnancy by abstinence or contraceptives.

“I’d say wait because it is not as important as people boost it to be. It is just sex. If you held out this long, then why not wait more time? If you do choose to do it, make sure you use protection,” Marvin said.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/05/21/teen-parents-face-unexpected-changes/