Recovery after rocky start

by Alexis Riddick

Despite a stumbling start to their season, the boys varsity basketball team came together as a unit and made their way to the regional match against the John Marshall Justices. The team ended their season with a 10-13 record.

Throughout the season the Blue Devils experienced highs and lows, winning some, losing others. They said they adjusted to having a new coach and a new teammate, junior small forward Kevin Willis.

Before the district match, two junior varsity players moved up to varsity.

Sophomore small forward and shooting guard Aaron Oliver used this opportunity to show his talents. He said he did not use his age as a crutch.

“I’m used to people being bigger than me,” Aaron said.

Aaron said that the coach came to him and told him that he was being moved up to varsity.

He said that the best part of being moved up onto the varsity team was dressing out and being a part of a team with experienced players.

Not only was he able to play with experienced players, but he said he learned a lot from the new coaches.

He said he cannot wait until next season to come.

“I just love basketball,” Aaron said.

Freshman shooting guard Tony Lofton. said the difficulties of the season motivated him to work harder and put more “heart” into the game.

“I will never forget the first time I scored in a game; it was my best memory,” Tony said.

The team gave credit to fans who supported them and shared in memories that the team will cherish for a lifetime.

“I was impressed by the turnout at games. The Blue Devils’ Pit really helped us come together as a team,” sophomore forward Desmond Dowling said.

Sophomore forward Donovan Dowling said he would not forget shooting the winning basket on Valentine’s Day against the Hanover Hawks (75-73), giving the team a spot in the district tournament.

“I was excited, but basketball is a team sport so in order to win games, you have to play together as a team,” Donovan said.

The Blue Devils look forward to strengthening their bond as a team and becoming the team they know they can be.

“It basically comes down to support, heart and being committed. That’s all we really need to be successful,” Kevin said.

Aaron said that Coach Donald Payton offered the team a sense of pride and  heart He believed in the team even more than the players did.

Coach Payton said that he hopes the team will learn from this season after having a new coaching staff and team of underclassmen players.

“It went pretty well. I think we made  progress, from what feedback I got from others around the department,” Coach Payton said.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/04/04/recovery-after-rocky-start/