Addiction leads to distrcation

by Danielle Childress

Cell phone users seem unable to put the phones down. With calling, texting and social networks, some students constantly have a phone in their hand, even when behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Senior Kendall Dennis said he needs his phone on him at all times, or he becomes stressed and anxious.

“If I don’t have my cell phone, I freak out. I feel like it’s a part of my everyday life. I’ve actually cried because I didn’t have my phone one day,” Kendall said.

Kendall uses his iPhone constantly to connect to social networks such as Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and other sites on smartphones.

“Technology is increasing, prompting kids to become more addicted to it. Everything you can do on a computer, I can do on this here phone,” Kendall said.

Kendall said he frequently uses his cell phone while driving, and his phone serves as his GPS most of the time.

“It doesn’t affect [my driving]. I think I’m a pretty good driver,” Kendall said.

Junior Brionda Thornton only uses her phone while driving to make short phone calls.

“I don’t use it for long periods of time. My eyes remain on the road,” Brionda said.

Distraction.gov, a website created to stop distracted driving, states that talking on a cell phone while driving, even if the phone is hands-free, uses up to 39 percent of the energy the brain would usually use to practice safe driving habits.

Instructional technology resource teacher Mike Dunavant said cell phone addiction is not only a problem for teens but also for adults.

“It’s important to remember proper etiquette. It’s very rude for a phone to go off in a meeting or movie theater. You don’t always have to be connected. It’s important to say it’s okay to turn it off,” Mr. Dunavant said.

Mr. Dunavant said he is slightly addicted to his cell phone, which he uses more than his computer.

“I use it to check email or Facebook. I’m always checking the news and the weather when I’m at home,” Mr. Dunavant said. “I never use it while I’m driving, but it is on.”

Distracted driving causes accidents nationwide despite laws in some states to prohibit or restrict cell phone use.

Deputy Sheriff Dwayne Wisbey works in Syracuse, New York. He said he has investigated several accidents where the cause of the crash was distracted driving.

“I believe the use of a phone distracts the attention of the driver from the road as the user’s mind is concentrating on the conversation and the road. Anything that takes your undivided attention off the action of driving a vehicle adds to the danger of getting into an accident,” Deputy Sheriff Wisbey said.

Junior Caitlyn Adkins said she sometimes uses her cell phone in the car, but she doesn’t text behind the wheel.

“I call people while driving sometimes, but that’s really it. The most I do is let music play while I drive,” Caitlyn said. “My mom doesn’t like it and tells me to stop, but I do it from time to time.”

Junior Brianna Lukhard said she never uses her cell phone while driving.

“I don’t use it or text while driving. It makes you take your eyes off the road, so you can’t see what you’re doing. It’s a big deal if you text while driving, and it scares me when other people do it,” Brianna said.

According to Distraction.gov, “distraction occurs any time you take your eyes off the road, your hands off the wheel and your mind off your primary task: driving safely.”

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/04/04/addiction-leads-to-distrcation/