Gymnast places after team injuries

Sophomore Tyler Cable practices on the beam to prepare for a meet. Her beam routine has helped her place in meets.

by Asia McFadden

Sophomore gymnast Tyler Cable competes in bars, beam, floor and vault. In the third meet of the season, Tyler placed sixth in the all-around competition against athletes from Varina, Godwin, Deep Run and Lee-Davis.

Tyler said she was shocked to hear her name called at the end of the meet.

“I was excited and speechless at the same time because I didn’t realize that I won until I sat down with the award in my hand,” Tyler said.

Tyler said that bars are her favorite component of gymnastics because her routine is difficult and complicated. She used that routine to place sixth on the bars at the first meet of the season at Henrico High School.

“I was surprised when I heard my name because I never came into high school with the expectation of winning. All I do is focus, make sure my routine is smooth and stick the landing,” Tyler said

Sophomore gymnast Lauren Francis placed fourth on the bars at the same meet.

Lisa Small, mother of junior gymnast McKinley Small, owns the gym where the team practices. Although the team has only eight members, Ms. Small said it has a lot to offer.

“I feel like we have gained a lot of talent. I think we have more talent than we have had since the team started back up six years ago,” Ms. Small said.

Although a smaller team hinders the team’s score in competition, McKinley said it is a bonus that the eight girls have over 50 years combined experience in gymnastics.

“I’ve participated in gymnastics for six years, and every time I go out and perform, I get better,” Tyler said.

The team hopes to overcome a handful of injuries this season, which would allow the entire team to compete at once.

“Unfortunately we can’t seem to have everyone healthy at the same time, but hopefully we will for the last few meets,” Ms. Small said.

Because of the injuries to McKinley and senior Dianna Lassiter, Tyler was the only Varina gymnast to compete in the all-around at Stonewall Jackson, but as the team recovers, more members hope to compete.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/02/08/gymnast-places-after-team-injuries/