Google Me to Texas – All Aboard!

Submitted by: Sarah Smith
School: Adams Elementary School

Summary

This lesson was for kindergarten students to learn about communicating in various ways. We chose to communicate with Sam, who joined the Air Force in October 2010, by sending him a Veterans Day card via the US Mail. He then wrote us a thank you letter via the same venue. We brainstormed ideas about how to communicate further and came up with various ideas on how to do it. We decided to use Google chat at first where we were able to see him and talk to him in real time. Then we decided to set up a blog where we could communicate daily through text. The students took turns sending him a message or a nice picture that they drew either by hand or via Pixie. We also shared weather stories and compared weather in Virginia to Texas.

TIPC Ratings

Ideal/Target – I ranked this section as ideal/target because my students were able to select and identify the information to communicate with Sam by including letters, Google Earth, blogging, email, video conferencing. They were able to research different tools for communication while learning geography, weather, citizenship while students created products to show their knowledge. The students wrote letters and blogged with a real life Air Force soldier and saw weather conditions outside via video conferencing.

Ideal/Target – I ranked this section as ideal/target because my students are communicating within and beyond the classroom in ways that produce collaboration in real and non-real time. For example we have mailed letters and talked via video conferencing, we have blogged before school and after school. We are sharing knowledge globally via Google Earth and traveling to west to Texas from Virginia. Discussing weather and selecting the appropriate technology students either used Pixie or the Track Pad Lesson, “Dressing Lecky” to create a Social Studies or Science.

Ideal/Target – I ranked this section as ideal/target because my students well thought out the plan to go on a real trip via the airplane, flying up in the air and basically they used higher order thinking skills as we traveled from Virginia to Texas. The weather was observed, the mapping skills were observed, positional words were discussed. Drawings from the students were produced by Pixie on the computer.

Ideal/Target – I ranked this section as ideal/target because by providing my students with communication tools, I am allowing them to have a Pen Pal in the Military, Sam. The children not only get to use their imagination by flying in an airplane, they get to have fun learning mapping skills, math positional words, weather conditions and comparisons to where we live, they get to communicate with a real live person, their teacher’s son, SAM, US AIR FORCE.

Download Files

Contents:

• Google Me to Texas – All Aboard! Lesson Plan
  • Link to Classroom Blog
  • Description of Video Chat