Welcome Back and Happy New Year! ~ Week of January 4 – 8 ~

Happy New Year, everyone!  I hope that you all had a wonderful winter break with your families!  I had a wonderful 2 weeks spending time with my family celebrating the holidays and playing with my kids.  I’m looking forward to seeing all of my students on Monday!
Here is a look at our week ahead:

Mrs. Jacobsen’s Homeroom

• Morning Meetings (8:00 – 8:15):   We will continue to build our classroom community with activities and questions that will allow us to get to know our classmates better.
  • Small Group Reading Block (9:55 – 10:30):   We will begin our new Wordly Wise Lesson 6 words on Monday.  We also will begin a new text called “How To Save a Baby Elephant,” which we will spend time reading and studying together in our small reading groups.  The class will have 2 reading menus this week:  one menu to complete on Tuesday & Wednesday (due by Thursday at 8:00 am) and another menu for Thursday & Friday (due by Monday at 8:00 am).  While students are not working with me in their reading group, they must be working on their Reading Menu in the “lobby.”  As I have discussed with the students, they must click to join our class meeting, but then be in the “lobby” so I can see that they are present in class.   All students in 5th grade will have the same reading menu assignments.  The assignments in this menu will consist of a mix of reading, writing, science, and social studies activities.  Students will have 2 days to complete the “Must-Do’s” in their menu, and they will be due by 8:00 am on the following morning.
  • Class Read-Aloud:  From 1:00-1:15 each day, I will be reading aloud from our class novel, Save Me a Seat.  Please encourage your child to enjoy listening to the story and not do anything else during this time.

Math Classes:  

• Math 5 and Math 5/6:

• This week we will begin our Graphing Unit (SOL 5.16).  In this unit, we will learn about two types of graphs:
      • line plots
      • stem and leaf plots
    • Throughout this unit, students will have notes, examples, videos, and other helpful websites in their Schoology course to use to help them study and review the concepts.
    • Students will also complete various independent assignments in the afternoon to help understand and practice these math concepts.  It is very important that students complete their assignments on time so they do not get behind on learning these concepts.
    • As a reminder, students must be working in Dreambox throughout the week.  As I have discussed in class, students are now required to complete 4 lessons per week (or 60 minutes per week) on Dreambox.  A “week” on Dreambox begins on Sunday morning and ends on Saturday evening.  I will count all of the minutes and lessons that occur during that time.  Every Sunday morning, the time starts over again.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions!  Have a great week, everyone!

-Mrs. Jacobsen   🙂