Concussion can’t stop Logan

by Maddie Willis

Sophomore JV shortstop Deonna Logan got a concussion during a softball game that will prevent her from playing again until her junior year.

In the third inning Deonna collided with a teammate after neither of them called for the ball.

“I got a concussion by colliding with sophomore left fielder Serena Sandidge going after a shallow pop up to the outfield,” Deonna said. “We both ran for it, and I caught it and held on to it for the second out, and the next thing I know is, lights out.”

Getting hit in the head can shake the brain causing it to hit the sides of the skull.  According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some of the signs of a concussion are difficulty thinking, headaches and irritability. Deonna had immediate symptoms of concussion.

“We both fell, and Deonna couldn’t open her eyes, and her words were slurred together,” Serena said.

This is Deonna’s second concussion. She got her first one at a volleyball tournament when she was in the ninth grade. Since her first concussion wasn’t long ago, it made the second concussion worse. Sophomore pitcher Brette Hooper witnessed both concussions.

“This one is worse because it is her second one, and her first one didn’t heal properly. Since her first one was just a few months span away, it made this one 10 times worse,” Brette said.

Deonna said that medical care for her first concussion was minimal.

Even though she had to sit for the rest of the season, Deonna said she supported her team, and her team supported her.

“I am very blessed to have gotten up from the second concussion because not many people do. One thing I do remember from the concussion is that my team was there through it all. They all came to visit me the day after, and we really do have a sisterly bond,” Deonna said.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2014/06/09/concussion-cant-stop-logan/