‘Pit” boosts team spirit, performance

by Jadrian Williams

“We have spirit, yes we do. We have spirit how about you!”

Cheers echo from fans in the Blue Devils’ Pit every home football game. As many as 60 students and faculty dress in white and chant their support for the team.

Led by English teacher and Beta sponsor Emily Stains, the Blue Devils’ Pit is a student section located on the 30 yard line. The Pit had its debut last year during basketball season. 

Ms. Stains said the goal of the student section is to get more students to show their school pride.

“There is nothing better than channeling student energy in a positive way. I am blessed to get to organize something that encourages our students to feel school pride. I want all of us to be proud to be part of Varina Nation,” Ms. Stains said.

Ms. Stains said that Angelique Tate, parent of Varina graduate Tony Tate and president of the athletic boosters, came up with the idea for a student section at athletic events. This year Beta, the athletic boosters and the PTSA are working together to increase participation in the Blue Devils’ Pit.

Senior Beta member and spirit coordinator Joy Jefferson said Beta began the student section to increase school spirit last year. Joy said that she wants a student section for all sports not just football.

“My favorite part is just being excited, getting to run around and act crazy with an excuse because it’s my school spirit,” Joy said.

Junior basketball player Desmond Dowling became a member after seeing the Blue Devils’ Pit in action at home basketball games.

“I just view it as the student section where you can show how spirited you are about the school and then support your friends as they play their sport,” Desmond said.

Junior Dexter Dowling, Desmond’s twin brother, said that Ms. Stains organized a few meetings to practice cheers and  recruit more students.

To become a member of the Pit, students must pay to enter the game, wear white and sit in the student section.

“I know football is like the biggest sport in the school, but I’d like to see students in the Pit support other sports, too,” Desmond said.

The senior class has the largest number of participants. Senior Blue Devils’ Pit captain Toni McDonald said that she wants more underclassmen to join.

“[I hope to show people] that Varina really does have school spirit. It’s just been hidden for the past couple of years, but hopefully by underclassmen joining the Pit, it’ll show,” Toni said. 

Senior J’Nae Gray said she hopes the Pit will strengthen connections among students and faculty.

“My hope is to bring Varina together as one big happy family because that’s what the Blue Devils’ Pit is for,” J’Nae said. “It’s to show how much pride we have in Varina.”

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/11/02/pit-boosts-team-spirit-performance/