JV pitcher gets ‘the call’

by Megan Flournoy

When positions need to be filled, JV players are often called up to the varsity level. During the Spring Break Tournament, sophomore pitcher Michael Props took the mound against Hopewell, leading the varsity Blue Devils to a 5-1 victory.

“Coach Matt Anzivino asked me to come up for the Spring Break Tournament. I was excited that I had the opportunity to pitch on a higher level,” Michael said.

Michael has played baseball for 11 years. He began playing for the Sandston YMCA then switched to Varina Youth Sports and eventually went to AAU, a nation-wide travel baseball program. He played baseball at John Rolfe Middle School before starting his career at Varina.

During t-ball, players do not have set positions, but as they get older, they find their strengths and weaknesses. After t-ball, Michael played shortstop and second base until he was eight years old. That’s when he began pitching.

Senior pitcher Jarrett Poh said Michael is a great asset to the team.

Moving up from the YMCA to older, more competitive leagues, Michael gained experience and skill that he utilized in the Blue Devil win against Hopewell.

Michael has pitched a few varsity games since the tournament, but he will remain on the JV roster for the majority of the season.

“I probably won’t move up full time,” Michael said. “I’ll come up to pitch every two or three games, and then more likely go back down. I kind of like the situation I am in now because in JV, it is easier to hit and is less pressure.”

The JV players want Michael to pitch for them, but they think it’s good he had the opportunity to pitch for varsity.

“He’s a great player and great team leader. Michael deserves a spot to pitch,” freshman catcher Caleb Harding said.

Freshmen Cole Dunkum and David Wyand pitch for the JV team when Michael plays for varsity.

Michael, who hopes to continue playing baseball in college, said that his experience in the varsity level would lead to a smooth transition as a full-time varsity pitcher next season.

“Since I have had a taste of it this year, there hopefully won’t be as much pressure next year,” Michael said.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/05/21/jv-pitcher-gets-the-call/