ESP helps athletes gain edge over competition

by Ieisha Monroe

Owner Jason Elkin is giving back to the community through his business, Elkin Sports Performance (ESP).

ESP opened in 2009 to train female and male athletes of all ages to become Super Bowl MVPs. Throughout the facility, Mr. Elkin has posted the motto, “Out Work ‘Em All.”

Growing up, Mr. Elkin enjoyed training for wrestling, and his goal was always to be the best he could be. Helping Richmond athletes is a way for him to repay his community.

“ESP is my dream come true. I wanted to out work everyone. Now, if the athletes who come to ESP can do that, then I have done my best,” Mr. Elkin said.

Some Varina athletes attend ESP several times a week and have learned valuable leadership skills.

Junior football player Larry Spears said ESP has helped him become a leader.

“It makes me feel happy because I know I have an organization that cares about who I am and what I can be,” Larry said.

The ESP staff includes six certified strength and conditioning coaches and three interns.

Because the ratio between staff and athletes is low, athletes get individual attention.

“The people there care about you and really try to help you,” senior Shaquille Edwards said. “They have real coaches that have been in college so they know what they’re talking about, and this makes ESP different from other training facilities.”

Mr. Elkin said he expects his athletes to train hard, keep up their grades, be productive citizens and live up to ESP’s motto.

“It is not whether you get knocked down, it’s how you get back up,” Jason said. “If you are looking for the edge over your competition, call and come try it out.”

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/05/21/esp-helps-athletes-gain-edge-over-competition/