Jun 17

Dracarys

I’ve always wanted to make a “real” GIF, but I just haven’t set aside the time to learn the process. In classrooms, I’ve used a number of online GIF creators where the user simply chooses the images to include and decides upon the frame rate, but I’ve found that these tools are fairly limited. These tools often have layer limits and they don’t always offer options to cut frames from a video source. So in the interest of learning something new this morning, I watched this short tutorial on GIF creation using Photoshop Elements.

We’ve had a number of “technical difficulties” with email, Schoolspace, and other online services this year, and in these cases I often get emails asking about the cause of the issue. In the majority of these cases, I have no idea about the root cause. So in the interest of adding a little levity to these situations, here’s the GIF I created…

“Sorry for the inconvenience, but (insert technical service here) has been attacked by dragons and will be down until further notice. Technology is aware of the issue and is currently enlisting all able bodied men and women for a counterattack. 

dracarys

A couple thoughts/questions for those of you who are GIF masters:

• In order to get the frames I wanted, I just paused and unpaused the video as quickly as I could and then copied the new frame. Is there a better way to do this?
  • I had some trouble with saving the final version of the GIF, as it was initially “too large to publish.”  Ultimately, I narrowed the GIF down to 15 frames, decreased the PPI to 72, and cropped the image substantially.  Are there any other settings that I could play around with in order to make smaller GIFs?