Short Reports, Dr. Seuss, and Our New Friend

This week I challenged your children to think for themselves and start to research a topic so that they may later write a short report.  They had to choose a topic (from a reasonable set of choices) after looking at variety of nonfiction books.  They then had to write down what they already knew and what questions they had about their topic.  They also had to write down what resources they needed to gather to conduct their research.  On Wednesday, we started our research in the Maybeury library, using public library books that Ms. Beck gathered for us, and using safe online resources (Online Encyclopedias, PebbleGo, DK Find Out, etc.). While we are doing research, we are learning what it means to take notes in our own words, so that we don’tplagiarize someone else’s words.  We also have been creating a bibliography as a record of where our information is coming from.  Over the next two weeks, and once our research is complete, we will start writing our short reports, revise and edit them, publish, and then share our findings.  This has been a really great time of independent and challenging (in the best way) time in our classroom.

On Friday, we celebrated Dr. Seuss’ birthday by dressing up as our favorite Dr. Seuss character.  I promised them that the most creative costume would get a free week of no homework, and they got me.  All of the costumes were so good that they are ALL getting a free week of no homework next week. The most you may ask them to do is read for 20 minutes each night. The looked amazing.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Check out these crazy kids.

We also welcomed a new friend to our class this week.  Lutfullah (Loot-foo-lah) comes to us from Afganistan and has been a perfect addition to our room 36 family.  We are so glad to have him, and we are eager to help him learn and to learn from him as well. I’ve already learned how to say “hello”,”face”, and I’m working on some other phrases this weekend in Dari.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

One comment

• Zekrullah Hamgar

Appreciate for the warm welcome from everyone to my son Lutfullah,

I really loved the smily face of the kids when they warmly welcomed Lutfullah.

you guys are so sweet and lovely.