Head Coach- Andrew Lacey (5th Season) (Overall 132-95) (58-42 record at Varina)
Currently, entering my fourth year as the Head Men’s Basketball Coach at Varina High School in
Richmond, Virginia. In 11 seasons as a men’s and women’s head coach, I have amassed over 115 career wins, started a program from the ground up, turned around two struggling
programs, and used my knowledge as a collegiate player to better each athlete I coach.
My coaching career began at Washington and Lee High School (1A) located in Montross, Virginia in 2005, where the Eagles’ squads thrived under my leadership. During my second year there, the program finished with a 16-4 record, which was the best record in the past five years. After two years at Washington and Lee, I left to break ground with the opening of Skyline High School, which was a 2A school in Front Royal, Virginia in 2007.
At Skyline, I was challenged with starting a program from the ground up. The Lady Hawks went 7-15 during my first season. However, during the second season of being open, the Lady Hawks went 13-13, the county’s best record in 28 years of women’s basketball in Warren County. The team finished as the Northwestern District Tournament Runner-Up, earning a trip to the Virginia AA Region II Tournament; this was the first women’s basketball team from Warren County to qualify for the Virginia High School League Region II Tournament since 1981.
In 2009, I was offered the Head Women’s Basketball Coach position at North Stafford High School (AAA) located in Stafford, VA. While there, I embarked on the challenge to rebuild the school’s program. The Lady Wolverines finished fourth in an eight team district in two seasons under my leadership.
During the summer of 2011, I made the transition from women’s basketball to men’s
basketball by becoming the Head Men’s Basketball coach at Pinecrest High School (4A) in
Southern Pines, North Carolina. During my second season; the Patriots opened strong with a 7-2 record in 2012, ultimately finished the season 15-10 overall and 5-5 in the conference (3rd place). Although the Patriots lost (65-60) in the first round of the NCHSAA 4A State Tournament, the highlight of the season was capturing the 2012 Berwick Area High School (Berwick, PA) Tip-Off Tournament Championship.
In 2013, I took on another challenge of rebuilding another program in Virginia. Just finishing my third season as the Head Coach at Varina High School. In just three years under my leadership, we managed to win the 2015 Conference 3 and 2016 Conference 12
Championships back after finishing in my first season. In addition to that, we qualified for
the regional tournament in both of those years. I had the honor of being named Conference 3 Coach of Year as well as Varina High School Athletic Department Coach of Year.
During my off season, I work at various campus at colleges and universities throughout
Virginia and North Carolina throughout the summer. In the summer of 2013, I became a Five Star Basketball Skills instructor, as well as a contributor for national coaching site that is hosted by Fast Model Technologies. I am the founder of Andrew Lacey Basketball Academy, which strives to teach today’s youth character and life skills in coordination with basketball techniques, and had a record-breaking 110 campers in June 2012. In September 2014, I published an article called “Using Ball Screens in the Motion Offense”in Winning Hoops Magazine.
Associate Head Coach- Charles Powell (5th Season)
Coach Charles Richard Dickens Powell is entering his 10th year in coaching and his second with the Varina High School Blue Devils. He hails from Surry County where he was a Class of 99 graduate. From there he matriculated on to Norfolk State University earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mass Communications. Also there at NSU he served as Team Manager for the Men’s Basketball Program until his graduation in 2004. At the beginning of the 2005 basketball season he joined the Coaching Staff as a Volunteer Assistant Coach. His duties included skill development, assisting with recruiting and off-season workouts, as well as game planning and opponent scouting. His work of skill development was highlighted with his work with MEAC POY’s Chakowby Hicks and NBA Player Kyle O’Quinn, as well as First Team All MEAC players Tony Murphy and Michael Deloach. After leaving the staff at NSU Coach Powell went back home to Surry County where he served as an Assistant Coach for both Varsity and Junior Varsity teams winning Tri-Rivers District titles for two consecutive years (2010,2011) and winning the Region A Championship in 2011. Coach Powell has also served as a Gym Supervisor for the National Amateur Athletic Union for numerous boys and girls National Championships in Hampton, VA for Boo Williams. Coach Powell is energetic and passionate about basketball and is very excited to be a part of the Blue Devils Staff.
Co-Offensive Coordinator– Kenneth Randolph (First Season)
Co- Defensive Coordinator– Phillip Reynolds (First Season)
Program Assistant– A.T. Taylor (2nd Season)
Program Assistant- Chris Johnson ( 2nd Season)
RECREATIONAL HEAD COACHING POSITIONS
• 2009-2010 – East End Youth Basketball League – Pee Wee division
• 2010-2011 – Big East Youth Basketball League – Pee Wee division
• 2011-2013 – East End Youth Basketball League – Minor division
• 2014-2015 – Varina Youth Basketball League – Junior division
• 2015-Present – Bon Air Basketball League – Minor & Intermediate division
• 2016-Present – Varina Youth Basketball League – Ballers in Training division
RECREATIONAL HEAD COACHING ACHIEVEMENTS
• 2009-2010 East End Youth Basketball Pee Wee Division Champion
• 2010-2011 Big East Youth Basketball Pee Wee Division Champion
• 2012-2013 East End Youth Basketball Minor Division Champion
• 2013-2014 Varina Youth Basketball League Junior Division Runner-up
• 2014-2015 Bon Air Basketball Minor Division Runner-Up
RECREATIONAL ASSISTANT COACHING POSITIONS
• 2009 – East End Youth Basketball League – Pee Wee division
• 2014-2015 – Varina Youth Basketball League – Junior Division
RECREATIONAL ASSISTANT COACHING ACHIEVEMENTS
• 2014-2015 Varina Youth Basketball League Junior Division Runner-Up
AAU/TRAVEL HEAD COACHING POSITIONS
• 2014-Present – VA HAVOC BASKETBALL – 10U/4th Grade, 11U, 12U, & 13U
AAU/TRAVEL COACHING ACHIEVEMENTS
• 2014 AAU Division 3 VA State District 10U/4th Grade Champion
• 2014 AAU Division 3 East Coast Nationals 10U/4th Grade Champions
• 2015 AAU Division 2 VA State District 11U Division Champion
• 2015 AAU Division 2 VA Eastern District 11U Division Champion
• 2015 Cap City May Flowers 11U Division Champion
• 2015 AAU Division 2 Nationals Classic Bracket 11U Division Champion
• 2016 Cap City Classic 13U Division Champions
• 2016 AAU Division 2 VA State District 12U Division Champion
• 2016 Zero Gravity River City Bracket 12U Division Champion
• 2016 Xplosion Battle at the Beach 12U Division Champion
• 2016 USBA East Coast Summer Championship 6th Grade Division Champion
• 2016 AAU Division 2 Nationals Championship Bracket Runner-Up
ASSISTANT COACHING POSITIONS
• 2016-Present – Varina High School Varsity Boys Basketball
NOTABLE BASKETBALL EXPERIENCE
• 2013-Present – Vice President of Basketball for Varina Athletic Association (Recreational Program)
• 2014-Present – President of VA HAVOC BASKETBALL (AAU/Travel Program)
• 2016-Present – Program Assistant for Varina High School Boys Basketball
Director of Basketball Operations- Will Travis (First Season)