The Deadline for AP Research Tasks is Approaching Faster than You Think

The QUEST Model is crucial to the Capstone courses. The written papers and oral presentations are based off this model. Picture taken from: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-capstone/how-ap-capstone-works

The AP Capstone Program consists of two courses, AP Seminar and AP Research, taught by Mr. Towslee and Mr. Zelenak, respectively. For AP Research, students must submit their performance tasks (a written paper and oral presentation) by April 30th. This year, students are doing projects ranging from topics on how exposure to nature affects teens’ to social media’s effects on perceived body image of teenagers.

Seniors Jordanne Rolan and Claire Pokrywka have gotten to a good place with their research, with only two weeks left until their final paper is due. Claire’s research focuses on Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and the effect that a physician’s diagnosis of PCOS has on patients over the age of 13. “I feel nervous but excited for my project,” says Claire. “I was initially planning to interview gynecologists, then physicians, but finally I found someone who goes to Glen Allen High School who is willing to do talk to me about PCOS. I feel pretty good about where I’m at.”

Jordanne’s research, on the other hand, focuses on how the income disparity of parents of students at wealthier schools versus poorer schools in Henrico County affect the perception of their views of fast food chain availability in relation to how often it is consumed and their physical health. She plans to find the economic statistics of various schools in the county, and then send out questionnaires assessing physical health to students of these schools. “I still haven’t sent out the questionnaires, so I’m a bit stressed,” says Jordanne. “I hope to get the data quickly so I can present within the next week. I’m excited to see the results.”

Right now, there are thirteen students enrolled in the two-year program, and the seniors graduating this year will be the first students who have completed both years of the program. If the AP Capstone Program is one that interests you, don’t hesitate to contact Mr. Towslee or Mr. Zelenak.