Looks like March is definitely coming in like a lion! With the winter weather impending, please make sure you know how all of your students would go home in the case of an emergency closing tomorrow. In addition to the weather, we have a lot going on over the next few weeks. Should changes to schedules happen, we will let you know as soon as we do.
- Monday is Read Across America Day. Mrs. Ruffa has shared many great ideas for the day and hopefully, your room parents have already made contacts about the treats coming in. Since we don’t know what the weather may bring, you may choose to have them whenever you want.
- In honor of Read Across America Day, please feel free to wear jeans on Monday with a shirt with words. It will be a staff “Read My Shirt” Day.
- This week is 4th grade HATs Testing for writing. Their testing will take place on Tuesday (multiple choice) and Thursday (direct writing). Please remind students to be extra quiet during testing. Please do not go out for recess until the all clear signal is given that testing is over.
- Thank you all for your patience with the bookfair last week and thank you to the PTA for organizing it. The bookfair made over $7000, which resulted in $700 worth of books for the school. Mrs. Ruffa was able to pick out new books for the library and Will and I were able to pick out books for the bookroom, professional books for our library and grade level content books for some grade levels.
- Committee Meetings have been moved to March 19th due to Papa John’s Delivery Night.
- Please welcome Osama Saeed! He will be our new evening custodian working alongside Abraham. He will be a great addition to our staff.
- This week’s morning meeting reporting link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CTTCWRL
March is Music in Our Schools Month and Art Month. Thanks to Beth Allums and Amy Holzbach for all they do to inspire a love of the arts with our students.
Thank you to Jane Ruffa and Stacey Sylvia for organizing and sharing great ideas for Read Across America Day!
From Mrs. Mayo
Brooke Davis: For her MM Report that focused on “Keeping the End in Mind” and having a plan. Way to go, teaching 5th Graders an important concept that will benefit them in middle school around the corner and rolling it into academics in order for students to be more successful.
Kathy Louthan and Ann Marie Houghtaling: Great job integrating a study of digraphs and uniqueness with the story “The Very Sleepy Sloth” and the corresponding writing activity. .
Sara Ferraro: For her social story/ scenario activity where students identified good and bad choices.
Lauren Miller: Facilitated problem solving strategies during her MM regarding problems with recess equipment. Way to create a safe and nurturing environment where kids feel safe to share classroom concerns. This is a MAIN purpose of MMs!
Elise Carey: For her discussion of the empowering quote “When it doesn’t feel right, go left!”
Andrea Ferguson: For teaching her 3rd graders about the importance of organization, especially as they approach 4th grade. This is a weakness that often impedes upon the success of a lot of 4th graders!
Elizabeth Long- For her MM focused on a classroom issue: The difference between little deals (molehills) and big deals (mountains). CUTE!
Kathy Louthan and Sarah Simmel For her MM focus on leadership skills and qualities by integrating curriculum on presidents!
Brittani Smith- AMAZING teamwork activity as a response to a classroom need of learning to work cooperatively. ASK HER ABOUT THIS!
Sunday, March 2nd – Happy Birthday Amy Stumpf
Monday, March 3rd – Read Across America Day
Tuesday, March 4th – 4th Grade HATS Writing; Talent Show Practice – 2:15 pm; Happy Birthday Madeline Damron
Wednesday, March 5th – Awards Assembly – 3-5 – 8:15 am, K-2 – 9:30 am; Papa John’s Meeting & Talent Show Recording – 2:30 pm
Thursday, March 6th – 4th Grade HATS Writing; Worldbeat (Robert Jospe’) Assembly – 9:00 am;
Friday, March 7th – Jeans Day; Dragon Parade – 12:45 pm (starting in cafeteria); Talent Show – 7 pm – Godwin HS
Saturday, March 8th – Happy Birthday Sudie Wood
March 10-14 – STEAM Week
March 12 – Papa John’s Night
March 13 – Music/Art Fair
March 18 & 19 – 5th Grade SOL Writing Test
March 19 – Committee Meetings
March 24 – Picture Day