18 thoughts on “MLWGS & Private High Schools (Trinity, etc…)

1. I am a freshman at Maggie Walker, and I am so happy that I chose to go here. Regarding the application process, I would suggest not stressing over the testing day and just making sure to eat a good breakfast and get enough sleep. Once you have gotten into Maggie Walker, I would highly recommend touring the school on shadow day. I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go, but touring definitely helped me make my decision. When choosing classes, you might feel pressured to take plus classes, but it’s important to remember that plus classes don’t boost your grade, but are definitely a good choice if you really enjoy the subject. I chose to take a study hall this year which has helped decrease how much time I’m spending on homework every night. For me, the scariest thing that I heard about Maggie Walker was the work load, but I don’t think I have a heavier work load this year than I experienced at Moody, so don’t let that sway your decision. I would also suggest that you don’t let where your friends are going affect whether or not you chose to come here. Meeting new people on the first day of school can be kind of scary, but is also a really fun experience, and by the end of the first week everyone has new friends. My favorite thing about Maggie Walker would be the trust between students and faculty, which leads to students being given a lot of freedom. Maggie Walker is an amazing school, filled with nice people, interesting teachers, and great clubs.

2. This year I’m a freshman at MLWGS. It’s a pretty great school and I don’t regret choosing to attend this school over the other schools I was accepted by. MLWGS actually doesn’t have that bad of a homework load, compared to what I have heard from my friends at Godwin. Especially for those coming from Moody, the homework load won’t be that bad. The week is structured so that you can get your homework for Monday and Tuesday done over the weekend, allowing you to be proactive throughout the week and basically alleviate any stress from homework. There is also a lot of freedom at this school, as well as several clubs. All the students are very friendly and the teachers are very understanding.
    As for high school applications, don’t stress about it too much and just get enough sleep in the days leading up to the MLWGS entrance exam; you won’t do well if you didn’t get enough sleep.
    (Special note to those entering Trigonometry next year: MLWGS teaches their students things in Algebra II that MMS doesn’t cover. Make sure you grasp those concepts well when you are doing your summer homework or you will be starting the year with a bad math grade.)

3. I am a freshman this year at MLWGS, and going to this school was one of the best decisions of my life. Yes, it is more work than some other schools, but anyone coming from Moody can handle it. It is a great all-around school. Students get many freedoms/privileges here, they offer 10 different languages, they have an athletic team for pretty much any sport (except for football of course), they have every single club that you could possibly imagine, and most of all, the staff and students are very friendly and welcoming to everyone. It is the perfect option for someone who doesn’t want to stay within one focus area of a specialty center.
    Don’t stress over high school applications! Good luck!

4. Hey you guys – I am a freshman at MLWGS this year and overall I am really enjoying it! To start – there really is no way to study for the test. It is all based on IQ and test performance. However, there were 25 kids from Moody that got in last year so if you are reading this, just know that you have a better chance than you think. If you do get in – you will love it! The overall environment is very very challenging but that is combated by the supportiveness coming from all the teachers and other students. What separates the Governors school from other schools is that there doesn’t seem to be any cliques and it doesn’t matter what brand of clothing you wear. BUT if you’re looking for a traditional HS with football games and homecoming dances then Maggie Walker is not for you. There is a dance this year, but I quote, “Sports coats and pocket protectors are optional.”

Good luck with HS applications – don’t stress about it.

5. Hello! I’m a Freshman at Maggie Walker and I couldn’t have more praise for the program. I love the school and the teachers. But Beware! These are not easy classes. It may take you some time to get used to the routine as well as what the school asks of you. You may struggle at first, especially if you’ve never had to study before, but never fear! The storm will pass. The teachers are really fun and understanding. They get that everyone is coming from different learning backgrounds so there’s plenty of review and personal help if necessary. There are so many classes to choose from; you’ll definitely find one you love. I won’t say the classes are easy, but they are tons of fun if you love a challenge. As always, try your best not to fall behind on work. It’s really hard to come back from doing that. Make sure to keep your eyes and ears open because clubs and sports start from pretty much day one. You don’t want to miss out on the hundreds of great activities our school houses. I personally recommend the robotics club! Hopefully this helps you decided where you’d like to go. Hope to see you at MLWGS next year!

6. Hey! I’m a freshman at Trinity, and I absolutely love it! I will say, it wasn’t my top choice. Now that I think back to those application days though, i’m so glad I chose it! Trinity gives you lots of freedom and still trusts you with responsibility. They have this thing called demerits here, which keeps everyone in line. If you break dress code, show up to morning meeting late, or any other little thing, you get a demerit. It’s nice, because you have to get three before you have lunch detention. The education department at Trinity is amazing! All of the teachers work personally with you, and if you fall behind they’ll talk to you during tutorial. Tutorial is an after school 30 minute period where the teachers stay after to answer any questions. The nice thing about Trinity is there’s an hour delay every Monday, so waking up is easier! Sports are pretty much walk-on, aside from field hockey and volleyball. So far, our field hockey teams are undefeated, public and private! If you want to make friends, definitely join a team. I joined tennis because it was walk-on, and I haven’t regretted it at all! (we need more girls for the fall team next year, so if you’re coming to Trinity i’d love to see you come out!!!) There’s something called morning meeting every morning which is basically like announcements, but you’re in the auditorium and students can make announcements about lost items and such. We are currently towards the end of spirit week at Trinity, which is the best week i’ve had here so far! Each grade is assigned a hall and a theme, and you spend a Saturday decorating it. Then all week there are dress up days, and the winners get tickets to homecoming! Advice from a freshman- GO ALL OUT! I learned that the hard way! Moody made the transition to Trinity much easier, because Trinity is an IB school. I love Trinity so much! Good luck and enjoy 8th grade!

7. I’m at Maggie Walker and I love it. Everyone here is intelligent and group projects are awesome because everyone in the group has been used to doing the majority of the project, so for once the work gets distributed up evenly. The classes are challenging but enjoyable and the homework is manageable. I play a sport and some nights I don’t get home until 8, but I’m still in bed and done with homework around 10:30. The teachers are really approachable too. The lunch is really long and it has been great to have that time to meet other people. I would say that if you do go to Maggie Walker, the best way to get to know people before your first day of school is to play a sport. Most of the teams accept walk-ons, so no experience necessary! Good luck 8th graders with your high school applications! Whatever choice you make will be perfect for you!

8. Hey 8th graders! I am a freshman this year at Maggie Walker and I absolutely love it! Even though there have been some late nights, the workload is totally manageable. Every single teacher you could possibly get there is wonderful and I felt totally prepared having come from Moody. One piece of advice I have for you that you will hear about million times this year, is do not procrastinate! It’ll make things so much harder when you are trying to study for a test or turn in a high quality essay the next day. Also, ignore the rumors that you won’t have a life outside of school. I used to play tennis everyday in middle school, and that has not changed. I have also hung out with friends every weekend. (Don’t be prepared to hang out with friends during the week.) Don’t stress out about the application process too much! Have fun with it! Enjoy you last year of middle school and GOOOO RAIDERS!

9. I am enjoying my freshman year at St Christopher’s. It is a class of 81 highly motivated students in different subjects, sports and music. I love the freedom of being able to accomodate Football , Jazz band , science bowl , robotics as well as focus on my studies during my day. I love hanging out at the community center which they call Luck Leadership center and the relaxing lunch time – I encourage the awesome Moody Raiders who have an interest in packing their day with music , sports , clubs and studies to come to St Chris. My advisor and class scheduler elimininate any hurdles in handling various activities in a day. The sense of community and comraderie just makes the school day so much more exciting, productive and an experience to cherish for lifetime.

10. I’m Amy K. and I am a student at Collegiate School this year. I love it! One thing I did to get involved was join the cross country team, which started practices in the summer. This helped me make friends and gave me some familiar faces on the first day, which helped a lot (especially because most of the kids here have known each other since kindergarten). While it is definitely a big step up from Moody in terms of workload, it is a wonderful school and I am so happy with my choice! All of the teachers and students are more than happy to help and I love that.
    I think the thing that got me into the specialty centers were the essays (even though I didn’t end up going to them). Also, don’t make your decision based on friends. I didn’t know one person from Collegiate when I accepted their offer of acceptance, but I have made so many new friends.

11. Hey guys,

I am Ankith and I go to Maggie Walker. So most of you probably already read Corinne’s massive post, so I’ll keep it small. MLWGS is basically Moody, with a smaller class size and chiller teachers. The workload is (sigh) not nearly to the mythic proportions of the rumors. And if you hear anyone talking about how little sleep they ever get, it’s probably because; A. they are dedicated to a sport/club
    B. They are busy with other things C. they came out of an illness or D.a classic moody habit, PROCRASTINATION. Seriously though if getting sick won’y kill you the make up work just might, so I highly encourage you to stay healthy. Furthermore, the admission test, do not sweat it, regardless of what your parents say you literally cannot study for it,but if you want to brush up on anything, then do so. However, what will help you most will be confidence and a good night’s sleep on this test. Now on to me, my best friend at this school is a TI-84 (you can do anything with one) and time management. And other human beings. I am in the quizbowl of MLWGS(I know it sounds nerdy but it’s really fun) And it is a great chance to meet new and quite talented people. I also urge. You to join, I mean even if you cannot play so good, there are plenty of smart people to help with challenging work. Personally, I like the school a lot. Especially, the pool on the roof. Finally, if you like football you should certainly try and come because, our football team has not been defeated for 22 years.

-Cool beans!
    Ankith

12. Hey, I’m Corinne, and this year I’m a freshman at Maggie Walker. Although you may hear rumors of all the work from this school, its workload hardly differs from Moody’s. All the teachers are extremely engaging and helpful- they will aid you not only for their classes, but they will go the extra mile to make sure you also do well in your other classes. A great feature this school has to offer is the hour lunch break. This is nice because many clubs meet during this time. I especially enjoy this because I’m in four clubs already, which will soon be five if the Deadbeats accept me, and I’m also doing volleyball this year. That makes a nice Segway into the activities department at Maggie Walker. There is a ridiculous number of clubs at this school, and if you can’t find the one you want, you are encouraged to create it. The environment at Maggie Walker is founded upon cooperation, not competition. Many people have this misconception that the school is super-strict and that homework will consume your life- neither of those is true. As long as what you’re doing isn’t disrupting the class, teachers are generally okay with it. All the teachers are totally okay with my monkey-hat, if any of you were wondering. I already touched on the workload, but to reiterate: it’s not bad at all. On another note, don’t be afraid of the admission tests. Although I am legally obligated to keep all the information private, I will say that it wasn’t that scary. Everybody was nervous going in, but it ended up being a fun day. We got a short break after each section and were able to mingle in the hallways, which helped to relax all our nerves. The student body at Maggie Walker is very diverse and it’s really cool to get to meet people from all different walks of life- I think I’ve learned as much from my fellow students as I have from the teachers, if not more. I’ve already made a ton of friends and I’m having the time of my life. If you’re still on the fence, remember we have Sugar Shack across the street. I would encourage all of you guys to apply, as I would love to see your lovely Moody faces next year!
    -Corinne

13. My name is Cyrus and I am a Freshman at Maggie L. Walker Governers School. This year so far has been insanely fun. At first I was overwhelmed with the homework, but then I realized that I did not know how to manage my time wisely. After I understood my mistake, I completed my homework in no time at all. The faculty is very nice and are always willing to talk out problems. The student body is also very diverse and there is a lot of freedom given to students. I think that going to this school has been a blessing that not many people are lucky enough to get.

14. My name is Ashley and I’m a freshman this year at Maggie Walker. So far there have been many new and exciting aspects from the Governor’s School that vary from other high schools. Students get a lot more freedoms, such as a much longer lunch with the ability to eat wherever one would like (including outside). Also, since it is such a small school everyone is already very close and we have all become one large family! There are also alot of academic opportunities and an overabundance of interesting clubs to join. The homework load is not nearly as much as described and can be easily managed. Though this may be somewhat biased, I personally have no complaints towards my new school and, if accepted, I hope you all choose to attend!

15. Trinity has been a great experience for me so far this year, and it’s certainly a whole lot different than Moody. I’ve found there’s a lot more freedom at a private high school, and a lot more room to be creative. Being involved in the music program there I can say it is easily the best in the Richmond area. But it is much, much smaller than any other public high school and life there can be fast paced and hard to keep up with. However, everyone here gets along and the teachers have a lot of respect for the students (and vice versa) so I highly recommend coming here.

16. I am a freshman this year at Maggie Walker Governor’s School and I am really happy I chose to come to school here. If you play sports, you will definitely have more opportunities to play than other high schools. I played on the Varsity Golf team last fall and am currently on the Varsity Baseball team. It’s a great way to meet people and make friends. Also, there are tons of clubs you can join and a lot you can get involved in here. Classes are definitely more challenging, but interesting and there definitely is a lot of homework, but it’s not worksheets. I am also in the Jazz band and my band director rocks. Things to know if you consider coming here, there is no football team and there is no marching band, but we have an awesome girl’s field hockey team and they are like our football team. There are lots of opportunities for international travel with teachers and you can take some cool languages too. I am going to be taking Chinese after I finish Spanish. All the kids here are really nice…not a lot of cliques. Everyone just gets along. If you get accepted, you should definitely come here…you won’t regret it!

17. I have really been enjoying MLWGS (Governor’s School) this year. I ran cross country over the summer and in the fall, which allowed me to meet new people and make new friends before the school year started. Although I think classes are much harder, I have really enjoyed the experience so far. I strongly urge all who are accepted to attend.

18. I’m really enjoying high school at Trinity. I’m still taking French and am in honors classes, have really gotten into darkroom photography, and will be trying out for the tennis team this spring. It’s a change size-wise, but I love it.