10 thoughts on “Freeman: Leadership

1. Hey Raiders! This year, Freeman has been amazing. I absolutely love the school. When I first started looking at high schools I was concerned about what I was going to be getting myself into for the next four years of my life, much like you are now. I went to the Freeman open house and was terrified. I was worried that if I went to this school I would be stuck in a debate everyday. I am not a big into politics, and with the upcoming election, this was not the situation I wanted to be in. This is not the case at all. Though we do have discussions each day, they are not fierce politics and foreign policy debates as you might expect. In our Leadership Class (where we have these discussions) we read books and connect the literature to our lives and the leaders that the world has currently. We work to learn from one another and find ways to develop and express our ideas in an effective manner. We also work to improve our public speaking. Like Sadie mentioned above, we perform “Minute Pitch Presentations” where we do a little bit of research on any topic then present what we learned in one-minute. This helps us consolidate our ideas so we don’t continue to repeat ourselves. I have found that through the three center classes (English, History, and Leadership), I have learned how to analyze information and present it in a clear and concise manner. The most important aspect about the Leadership Center that you should know is that we work to build our ability to think critically and to present our thoughts well. Enjoy your time at Moody and good luck on your applications. Go Rebels and Go Raiders!

PS: Be sure to get involved in as many sports and clubs as you can wherever you go to school. It really helps you meet new people and feel more comfortable in the new environment. If you manage your time wisely then you not have to worry about getting your homework done. It won’t be easy, but you will be able to do it. I am a member of 6 different clubs/sports and am able to get my work done and done well, so definitely get involved.

2. Hey 8th graders! I absolutely love the center so far. Initially, I was worried about managing the workload with seven classes each day, but I can safely say that it’s nothing to worry about. If you manage your time wisely then you will be fine, and I’ve even had some nights without any homework. The center teachers are awesome and they understand how you are feeling as you start high school. They make sure that you get to work with almost everyone in the center and at the beginning of the year we do a lot of fun team building exercises. If you are curious about the leadership class, think of it as an open discussion/literature analysis course. Throughout the year, you will read a bunch of different novels mixed in with projects and one minute presentations. (They aren’t as scary as they sound, I promise.) There is the misconception that you have to love politics and be great at public speaking before coming to Freeman, but that’s far from the truth. The purpose of the center is to make you a more confident, articulate, and worldly person, not for you to have mastered these things before the first day! All in all, even in the short amount of time I’ve been at the center, I’ve met so many people and grown so much. Make the most of your last year at Moody- it goes by so fast! Don’t sweat the application process, you will end up at the right high school for you. If you are seriously considering Freeman, come to our open house on the 29th! I will be there to answer your questions as will a few other of Mrs. Chandler’s former students. Go Rebels!

3. Although I have only been at Freeman for one month, I can definitely say that Freeman is an amazing high school. As an eighth grader, I had always wanted to come to this school and I am so glad that I chose to be a Rebel. While the transition of leaving your middle school friends is rough and the seven block schedule creates some stress, the atmosphere at Freeman is something you can not find anywhere else. Everyone here, especially in the center, wants to succeed, wants to be an active student, and loves being a Rebel. If you enjoy talking about current events or you want to become a more cultured student, Freeman is the place for you. I think that the types of classes that are offered through the center really set us apart from all of the other high schools. We really focus on things that are actively occurring in the world and what we believe is the right thing to do. The people here are incredibly nice and we’re already becoming a family. I highly recommend talking to people in the center, going to the open houses, and shadowing some of the students. Make sure to think about what decision will be best for you and know that you will end up where you are supposed to end up. I hope that your high school application process goes well! Good luck and enjoy your last year… Go Raiders and Go Rebels!

4. If you are interested in politics, and Leadership, Freeman is certainly an awesome place to come. It is a lot of work, with seven classes a day, but it is a ton of fun, and I’ve already met a lot new people. At the moment, I am procrastinating on the homework I have, which is not something you should do in High school. The best part about Freeman is that it’s right next to an Einstein’s so you can get off the bus and grab a bagel every morning if you want. Good luck in 8th grade and you should definitely apply to Freeman. Go rebels!

5. Well, it has only been about three weeks, but I can say my time at Freeman High School as a part of the specialty center has been a good experience.

There are about 50 freshman in the center, and they are divided into two rotations. The two rotations cycle through the specialty center courses (World History II Honors, English 9 Honors, and Foundations of Leadership) during the first three blocks of the day. Yes, we have all three classes everyday.

The class I was most curious about was Leadership, and so for, it has not disappointed. We watched two movies and answered questions about them individually and as a class, looking at how the characters portrayed different types of leadership. And everyday, we’ll walk in and our teacher will start off by asking how everybody’s doing. At this point, you can share cool stories and mention interesting things. Leadership is when we have weird class coversations about pretty much anything- from the U.S’s foreign policy in the Middle East, to scary incidents that have happened at the mall.
    And I really like that.

I wouldn’t really deem myself as a social butterfly, but getting to know a few people hasn’t been hard. And it’s actually interesting to note that within the Center, there aren’t really any defined social groups or anything. Among the upperclassmen, it seems like everyone knows everyone, and in the freshman class, I haven’t met a single unfriendly person.

So far so good, and if you think Freeman is right for you, don’t let anything discourage you from coming!

6. Freeman Leadership is absolutely outstanding! I’ve only been in the program for a little over a month now, but already I feel right at home, not only inside of the center, but outside as well. The amazing center teachers push you to retain more information, think critically, and analyze everything in ways that seem impossible, but you find are not only doable, but fun. Your fellow classmates in your center rotation help make the days go by with entertainment, as we all joke around, while pushing each other to learn and delve further into the current subjects. Our current event debates are always enthralling; we start off every leadership class with the question “What’s in the news?” Our English classes are focus on thinking outside of the lines and really investigating the techniques and tone of the author. In World History II we learn everything (and more) in a seminar/ lecture-style environment, often with help from songs (they’re stuck in your head until the day of the test- trust me), movie clips, and incredible projects.

Here are my tips on Freeman (or any high school, for that matter):
    1) Don’t worry about having any friends. By the second week of school your center class becomes like your family and you laugh and joke about everything.
    2) Don’t stress about the work load. Everything here is manageable. When we get homework there’s always enough time to complete, along with some extra time to go to football games, sports practice, and take part in clubs.
    3) Take part in clubs/ sports teams! It’s the best way to make friends at any high school.
    4) Don’t stress. The specialty center application process was probably the biggest thing I was worried about last year, and now it seems like no big deal. Get good teacher recommendations, keep high grades, write strong essay, and then try and relax- it’s out of your hands now. You’ll go were you belong and end up loving it- I promise!
    5) Come to Freeman! If you are accepted, at least come to the tours, and if it’s your passion, it will be a great fit and give you an awesome high school experience.

Good luck in eighth grade!

7. So far, I love the Leadership Center. When you are a student at Freeman, you feel like you are part of something really important. Every single high school open house you will go to will talk about what a family the entire school is, and while at the time I seriously questioned it, I see that it is true. The students and staff of Freeman are really amazing. I absolutely adore my English and history teacher. For those of you who have Mr. Snow, Mrs. Curry the center history teacher, is like the female version of him. She has a very similar teaching style and they both are really into art history.
    As Rachel said a year ago, the layout is very similar to Moody’s. It is almost eerie, actually. Paint the walls to yellow and it’s Moody. Freeman is bigger, of course, and has more buildings, but they are similar.
    If you are worried about the homework load, don’t be. I’ve heard some people in the center complain about it, but not a single soul from Moody seems to care. Moody has done a tremendous job preparing you for high school.
    Also, you guys should start thanking Mrs. Chandler now, because she makes every aspect of the application process a thousand times easier. The only thing she makes more difficult is saying good bye 🙁
    Overall, I love Freeman. I’m genuinely happy there and I feel like I am learning a lot. The Leadership Center at Freeman is definitely a place where everyone of you should consider applying. I hope to see you there!

Molly S

8. I’ve only been at freeman for about a month and i already love it. All the leadership teachers are great, class discussions and debates are always animated and everyone gets involved. English is all about reading really interesting stories for homework and discussing it in class, you’d be surprised at how different a story can seem after you’ve discussed it! history is world history 2, the teacher is great and the class is absolutely fascinating. we almost never have homework and when we do, it’s something we enjoy doing. leadership is a lot of fun! we debate, discuss, argue and laugh. our teacher is really supportive and loves explaining some of the more complicated stuff. its really easy to just pick up on what is going on and join the discussion even if you didn’t know about the topic previously. i would tell you which class is my favorite but i really can’t pick one, i’m not being corny I sincerely love them all! the work load is definitely doable and in some cases kind of fun to do! There is a lot of politics but that’s not what it’s all about. if you love english, history and you fancy yourself a leader I highly recommend freeman 🙂 another positive is it looks just like moody so you won’t get lost and it feels like home! I hope you all apply so I can see you all next year!
    -Rachel

9. I really enjoy the Center for Leadership at Freeman. It is a great center with great teachers and interesting classes. The center classes at Freeman consist of History, Leadership, and English. The center classes are challenging, engaging, and really interesting. A lot of what we do in the center is group related like doing group projects. The leadership center focuses a lot on history, reading, and writing and the teachers try to connect things we are learning in one class with another. In leadership specifically, we talk a lot about current events and the 2012 election. However, this doesn’t mean that if you don’t like politics then you won’t like the center. Trust me, you’ll start to get interested in politics and current events as the year goes by. History and English are normal honors classes with leadership students. The leadership center isn’t just a center for politics and government, it is a center for people who are interested in the world and want to learn how to defend their beliefs. I personally love the family feeling that is created in the center and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves history, politics, or writing. Also, I highly suggest if you get into the center or are wait-listed to shadow so you can experience the center for yourself!