Harry S. Truman on Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Selfie Truman

Instagram is a form of social media that is very popular today. Pictures and news spread quickly around. Before, in WWII, they didn’t have social media such as Instagram to spread the word. If they did, however, history would’ve changed. If the U.S. knew what Hitler was up to, they probably would’ve joined the war sooner instead of joining when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. If Chamberlain had known that Hitler was doing all this bad stuff, maybe he wouldn’t have appeased him, but fought him instead. Today, social media spreads the word and makes us see things differently. For instance, a lot of pictures of upsetting events are photoshopped to make them even more upsetting. During the Boston Marathon, for example, a picture was photoshopped to include a dark-clothed man standing on top on a nearby building and was declared as the “bomber”, making a lot of people mad, therefore resulting in the picture spreading so quickly. In one of the posts on the blog, it showed that Stalin was an Allied leader, but enjoyed killing. It showed me a side of Stalin that I didn’t previously know about. Had Instagram existed during WWII, the Allied leaders would’ve probably gotten mad that Stalin was acting so much like Hitler, and maybe turned on him. In my picture, I showed Truman bombing Japan, but feeling remorse about it. If Instagram had existed back in his time, everyone would’ve known how WWII came to an end so quickly, and how much damage atomic bombs can do. Perhaps every country would’ve stocked up on these weapons, perhaps Truman would’ve been thrown out of power for using such dangerous weapons against innocent people, perhaps he would’ve been viewed as a worldwide hero. In conclusion, social media can spread information, not always true, quickly and efficiently, to many people. In the future, maybe people will rely on social media for learning history, because history is not always 100 years past. An event such as the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting is also history. People have many primary source documents about it. Social media can help us learn history, but it’s always good to make sure that it’s accurate.

4 Responses to “Harry S. Truman on Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki”

• hcps-drillinki says:

I really like the two pictures you used in your selfie, and feel like they represented the event well, and showed the emotion Truman had, and that he didn’t really want to bomb them. You also did a good job in your paragraph.

• hcps-mcaleeslf says:

You did a good job finding pictures that well-suited your selfie. It’s easy to see how Truman felt about this event. The hashtags are easy to understand. Good selfie!

• William A. Berry, III says:

You did a great job finding a picture of Truman that reflects his “perspective” in the comment section. Your essay is well thought out and you use great examples from your classmates’ work to support your points.

One thing to consider – In your “likes” section, you have FDR liking this picture. This stood out to me immediately. Do a little research into FDR’s life and tell me why that stood out next time you see me in your classroom.

• hcps-dingr says:

I like how Truman looks upset with the way that the atomic bomb had affected Japan — I remember reading about how he did not wish to use it, and because he did, people were permanently injured and scarred for the rest of their lives. One thing that you could improve is to make the location a little more obvious in the picture, because I thought that it was the White House for a second.