- Field Trips: Our class is going to the Math Science Center on Thursday. We will be gone from 9:30-12:30 and eat lunch upon our return to school. Students should be prepared to eat lunch in the classroom on Thursday. Lunch forms were sent home last week for anyone wishing to order a bag lunch from the cafeteria for the day.
- Today you will find a permission slip for our next trip to the YMCA in your child’s yellow folder! We will be going to the Shady Grove YMCA for aquatic safety lessons on March 17th from ________. The cost of the trip is $4.00. Please read the information carefully, because there are additional forms to fill out for this trip. All forms and money are due by Friday, March 3rd. We will not need chaperones for this trip.
- Picture Day: Spring Picture Day is also, Thursday, February 23rd. Anyone wishing to purchase a class photo will need to pre-order the picture.
- Theme Day: March 1st is our theme day this year. Thank you to our PTA for planning such a GROOVY day! Students are encouraged to wear their grooviest outfits! This will also be a half day with dismissal at 11:05.
- Author Visit: We are excited to have Ginjer Clarke visit SPES on Thursday, March 9th. If you are interested, you may purchase autographed books for your child on bbgb’s website at bbgbbooks.com/book-buzz. You will receive a 15% discount when you use coupon code spes15. Make your selection on the website, then at check-out choose school delivery, select Springfield Park Elementary School and indicate your child’s name, teacher and to whom the book(s) should be signed. Please place your order by Wednesday, March 1st. The books will be delivered directly to school.
In the Classroom
- Reading/Language Arts: The word study list this week is another number prefix. Students will be looking at QUAD words on this week with only FOUR days. Our reading will focus on a continuation of cause and effect as we look at this strategy in non-fiction texts. Students will continue working on their literature circle studies as well.
- Math: Students will continue working with fraction computation, exploring algebraic expressions, or reviewing the distributive property. Teachers will also use the data from recent benchmarks to review concepts that caused more hiccups than others.
- Science/Social Studies:We will wrap up our study of living systems this week as we finish animal cell stations, review the main concepts of plants and animals, and take the unit test on Thursday afternoon. By the end of the week, students will also get their first look at the Northeast Region as we read non-fiction passages from our social studies textbook.
Mark Your Calendar
- February 21 – PTA Meeting, 3rd Grade Performance
- February 23 – Trip to MSiC; Spring Pictures; Kids Club
- February 24 – Talent Show Rehearsal after school
- March 1 – Theme Day; half-day