Can you believe there are only two weeks left before our winter break? Time is flying by so quickly!! The students have worked hard this week on various assignments as we have talked about Ocean Movement, completed a few more chapters in The Wizard of Oz, begun a train tour of the Northeast, and worked on crafting exciting conclusions. Many of this work will continue into next week. Looking ahead, here are the main areas of focus for next week:
- Reading: We will begin the week with a Chapter 11-15 Quiz along with the 3rd folder check. Then, students will work toward finishing the reading of our Novel Study. They can expect to take the final comprehension test before break, but we will wrap up with some of the extension activities in January.
- Science: Students will be working on an in-class project where they will research information about the interaction of humans with the ocean and create a display to be shared with the rest of the class. An ocean test will be given the following week, on Wednesday, 12/18.
- Social Studies: We will complete our train ride through the Northeast, and delve a little further into the culture of those 11 states.
- Writing: We will finish working on conclusions and hopefully start our final paper comparing a part of the human body, such as the eye or heart, to another object such as a door or window. We will also take a look at Homographs through our Word Study homework and mini discussions.
A couple of other things to be aware of as we gear up for the last couple of weeks:
- We are currently in a competition with the other fifth grade “districts” to STOP Hunger Games! If your family would like to support the Winter Enrichment program, you can send cash or checks (made out to FeedMore) to school in an envelope addressed to Robyn Bridges.
- If you are also interested in supporting the Henrico Christmas Mother, donations are currently being accepted.
- In your child’s folder today is a reminder note from Mrs. Roye about the upcoming performance on 12/17, information about Family Life in January, and a note from Mrs. Reams about MAPS testing the first week back from break. Please be on the lookout for each of these notices.
Thanks so much! And have a great weekend!!