- Field Trips: Looks like the students had a wonderful time at the YMCA. The staff there even complimented Mrs. Marks on how great our class behaved and followed directions. They do this trip with many classes from lots of schools, so hats off to Miss A’s groovy superstars! Big thanks to Mrs. Marks for organizing such an informative trip and Mrs. Manning for going in my place!
- Last week, students also brought home the information about our charter bus trip to the Virginia Aquarium on Thursday, April 6th. The cost of this trip is $40.00 for students and $40.00 for chaperones. Please send in the money by Friday, March 24th. Any money turned in after the 24th will need to be cash.
- Pictures: Please take a look at your student’s spring pictures. If you would like to purchase the entire packet, please use the provided envelope to send in the money. You can also purchase only a portion of the pictures by returning the pictures you don’t want with the money for the pages you kept. Finally, if you don’t want to purchase any of the pictures, please return the packet to school.
In the Classroom
- Reading/Language Arts: This week’s word study unit will look at the Latin root BON/BENE, meaning good. We will work on short passages in class this week and continue using non-fiction strategies in science and social studies. Weekly homework this week is once again the same for everyone. There were a handful of students who did not have their passages last week. We discussed the expectations again that students are to be reading nightly and completing their assignments to practice skills at home. Students will each need to have a chapter book of their choice to read and use for various exercises until Spring Break.
- Math: Students in all classes will be working on geometry this week. This unit includes many new vocabulary words and formulas. Please encourage your student to review notes often. Students should continue to use reflex math to practice their multiplication and division facts.
- Social Studies/Science: We will wrap up our study of the Northeast with a culture and history quiz on Thursday, March 23rd. We will also start our unit on matter this week. Students will describe the three states of matter, explain how temperature affects matter, identify atoms, elements, molecules, compounds, mixtures, and solutions.
Mark Your Calendar
- March 21 – PTA Meeting, 2nd grade performance
- April 4 – 20th Anniversary Celebration, 7pm
- April 6 – Aquarium field trip
- April 7 – Career Day, ½ day – 11:05 dismissal
- April 10 – 14 Spring Break!