Welcome Back! I hope that you each had a relaxing Spring Break! It’s crazy to think that our year is coming to a close, but we have a lot of great things to do in these last nine weeks! Looking forward to seeing all the growth students have made since September! Please help me in encouraging routine and good study habits as we wrap up the year!
- Young Science: We had our list visit with Young Science today as students got their first look at our light and sound unit.
- MAPS Testing: Our spring testing season is upon us. Students will be taking MAP Reading this Tuesday, April 18, and MAP Math next Wednesday, April 26. These tests are meant to be a measure of academic progress within this school year. Please see the letter from Ms. Clifford for more detailed information.
- Field Trip: Just a reminder that our Field Trip to the VA Marine Science Center has been postponed to June 1. If you were selected as a chaperone and can no longer attend, please let me know ASAP. Thanks!
In the Classroom
- Reading/Language Arts: Students will revise their creative stories written before break, taking time to expand vocabulary and mimic authors’ crafts we have studied. Our large and small group focus this week will be on comparing and contrasting nonfiction. Students will also begin their next literature circle mid-week, each reading a fractured fairy tale (a twist on the well-known classics). The prefix of the week is CO/COM meaning together.
- Math Students will continue geometry units this week. Several will be working on the properties of quadrilaterals before moving onto finding area and perimeter. Others will be looking at the characteristics of circles. All students should be studying new math vocabulary on a regular basis.
- Science/Social Studies:We will start our unit on sound this week. Students will explore compression waves, pitch, frequency, and volume as we look at the way sound is created and moves through various phases of matter. As we look at nonfiction passages, students will also begin looking at the Midwest region of the US.
Mark Your Calendar
- April 17 – Young Science; Denim Drive begins
- April 18 – MAP Reading Test
- April 19 – TDAP for those who signed up
- April 20 – KG Registration
- April 26 – MAP Math Test
- April 28 – Spring Carnival