About Us

Meet your librarian… Mrs. Utley

Mrs. Utley at the New York Public Library.

I have been the librarian at Maybeury for 12 years – going into my 13th year.  Before coming to Maybeury, I taught kindergarten and 4th grade at Lakeside Elementary for 10 years before. I attended the University of Richmond and UNC-Chapel Hill for my undergraduate studies.  I got my graduate degrees from UR and VCU.  I’ve even had other careers before I made my way into teaching.  I worked as a paralegal for many years, and even worked for the FBI for a bit.  But, I think I have the best job in the school right now.  I get to see all of the kids – all the time.  I love helping kids learn new things.  I especially love to help kids find great books to read.  When I’m not working, I like spending time with my husband (who sometimes helps out in the library) and friends, traveling, cooking, and (of course) READING.

Meet our library assistant… Mr. Schaffer

Mr. Schaffer with the band.

Mr. Schaffer with the band.

Mr. Schaffer is a rock star.  Really!  He is lead singer and guitarist for the local band, The Jangling Reinharts.  He spends many nights and weekends with his music, but he spends his days in the Maybeury library because … well, he’s also a bit of a bookworm.  Mr. Schaffer is married and has three sons.  Two attend the University of South Carolina, and the oldest is working in Richmond.  Mr. Schaffer attended Duke University and VCU.   When he’s not working in the library or playing with the band, he spends time with his family, and plays a little soccer when he can.  He’s been the assistant at Maybeury since 2005.

Mr. Schaffer and I may have very different backgrounds, but we’re a great team.  We care about the Maybeury Library and your children.  If you have any questions about our library program, feel free to contact us.  We’re happy to answer your questions or address your concerns.

mbutley@henrico.k12.va.us  or rtschaffer@henrico.k12.va.us