Think Through Math
Grades 6 – Geometry
According to studies at Johns Hopkins University, students lose an average of 2.6 months of math skills during the summer months. Additionally, research shows that the average teacher spends 4-6 weeks of time re-teaching material that students have forgotten over the long summer break. Henrico County Public Schools and Think Through Math want to help your child maintain their math and problem-solving skills throughout the summer.
What Is Think Through Math?
The Think Through Math program provides students with access to an online math tutoring program that can help them avoid this “summer learning loss”. Students will work on a carefully selected set of topics designed to help them maintain the math skills they gained during the school year, as well as prepare them for the topics they will see when the new school year begins.
How does it work?
Think Through Math provides one-to-one, personalized math instruction matched to the level and pace of every individual student. The system is designed to build students’ conceptual understanding, flexible strategic thinking, and problem-solving perseverance. As students advance through adaptive lesson pathways, they interact with highly focused content purposefully chosen to help students make connections while learning to think algebraically.
Because Think Through Math is Web-based, your child can access the program from any computer, tablet, or other device connected to the Internet (7’’ screen or bigger), whether at school, home, or the library. The program is proven to increase math proficiency when implemented 2 to 3 times each week or about 90 minutes each week. A few recommendations:
– Encourage participation. The more time your child engages with the program, the more they will experience success and the more they will learn.
– Encourage thoughtfulness. The program provides constant support and immediate feedback, especially in those places where students tend to struggle.
– Take time to review your child’s Think Through Math home page. Discuss lessons completed and lessons passed. Remind your child that hard work pays off.
– To learn more about Think Through Math, please visit www.thinkthroughmath.com.
Given this information, Henrico County Public schools would like to invite your child to participate in this summer math program. Help your child maintain and build math skills in grades 6-Geometry. This program is free with parent sign up!
Summer Parent Letter for HCPS 2016
To register your student, complete this form by June 30, 2016.
For additional information, please contact Skip Tyler, Secondary Mathematics Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg Tang Math
Grades K – 5+
Starts today, ends September 9th.
- Multiple game boards for students to complete during the summer break, using the online games and books at GregTangMath.com/summer.
- Each game board completed will allow the child to be entered into a prize drawing by their parent.
- 7 individual students will win prizes from Greg Tang Math.
- All students who complete the challenge earn a certificate of achievement.
- Kids in grades K-6 and above can participate in the challenge.
- Any parent or teacher can fill out the form for the prize drawing.
- Starting now and ending after summer break on September 9th.
- Entry form due by September 13th.
- Prize winners announced on September 16th.