March 16 – 20, 2020

Hello families,

Due to the unexpected closing of HCPS schools, please refer to the information sent home with your child on Friday, the Distance Learning website (https://sites.google.com/henrico.k12.va.us/hcpsdistancelearning/4-5?authuser=0), and the below overview of what your child should be completing while out of the GAES building these next two weeks.

The students also received their next book report paperwork, their next Word Trek list, and their helicopter writing.  The helicopter writing does not need to be worked on unless we are out for a longer period of time.  I sent the Word Trek like I always do on Friday.  We will use our usual procedure and timeline with that.  It will be due the Thursday we come back with the test on that Friday.  The book report was also something I was already planning on sending home and is due six weeks from this week as usual.

This is the message that was sent from gifted services regarding the closing:

Faculty at 4th & 5th Grade Gifted Centers

There are 4 main assignments your child should complete and bring back with them upon the reopening of school, all of which are in the packet they brought home today.

1. Taking Care of our Earth! Performance Task (bring/submit project and reflection)
  2. Choice Board (1 box completed per subject area per week-just bring choice board, not all activities; 8 total done upon return to school)
  3. Reading (1 activity completed per category per week; 8 total done upon return to school)
  4. Math (1 activity completed per category per week; 8 total done upon return to school)

In addition, we have sent home directions for logging into Clever and MobyMax. These resources allow your child to practice reading and math skills aligned with our current content areas. Students should be completing assignments in Khan Academy as well (accessed through Clever). Please also utilize the PortaPortal to review skills we have been working on to ensure concepts stay fresh over this unexpected break.

From Mrs. Lucas:

The Activity Log should be completed from 3/14-3/20 and turned in when students return to school. The Final 5th grade test review needs to be studied a little each week: 5th Review Study Guide. The test will be April 28th-May 1st. Stay active over break with the Alphabet Fitness Challenge!

Please keep up with email, phone, and text alerts from HCPS. As we get information, we will share updates with you as well.  I will be checking my email regularly so feel free to contact me with questions.

I hope you and your family stay healthy and safe, and I look forward to seeing your kiddos soon!