Group Counseling

Small group counseling can be extremely helpful when students are experiencing a difficult situation. It allows for them to gain support and receive feedback from peers their own age. It also helps them to see they are not alone in what they are feeling and experiencing. I am there to facilitate activities for discussion and help students make connections that will help them learn healthy coping skills. Group counseling topics vary year to year but can include grief/loss, anxiety, coping with parental incarceration, friendship, self-esteem, organization, being new to the school, and changing families.

The facts about small group counseling:

—Small group counseling usually lasts 6-8 weeks. We meet during school hours in my office. I try to hold groups during students’ lunch, but sometimes groups may be held during instruction time with permission from the teacher.

—If your child is invited to participate in a small group, it does not mean that your child is abnormal or that something is wrong! I am just bringing together a few students that are experiencing similar issues and working together as a group to learn helpful strategies to cope. Sometimes I may send group interest forms home with a whole class or grade level. You are also welcome to contact me about specific group needs or ideas.

—Small group counseling is not just for students experiencing emotional or personal issues. I can also work with students in small groups to help them learn better organization and class focus strategies.

—Written parent or guardian permission will be required for a student to participate in small groups, even if they have participated in a group before.

—I will share with parents or guardians general themes and issues discussed in the group, but I will keep most of what we talk about confidential to respect the rights of your child and the other children in the group. Exceptions to confidentiality as a mandated reporter are if students share that they are at risk of harming themselves, harming others, or if others are harming them. Confidentiality and its exceptions will be explained to all group participants at the beginning of our group sessions.