Winter Wonderland has arrived. We hope the kids have had so much fun playing in the snow.
- Winter Activities- this year the 5th grade team has a couple of special activities for the students during our last week of break. We are going to need your help to prepare for these events. We need all jars and monies to school by December 12th.
- Jars– we need you to send a clean/clear glass jar (remove any paper labels) with your child to school. Please make sure their name is on the bottom of the jar
- Minimum of a $3.00 donation for Blankets for the Children’s Hospital- we decided to keep up our kindness and would like our students to make the “no sew” blankets to donate to the local Children’s Hospital. Our room parents have already bought the materials for the blankets. We would like to ask that each child donate at least $3.00 towards the cost of these blankets. You can send the money in an envelop labeled, “Room Parent”. If we collect more than the cost of the blankets then we will donate that money to the Henrico Christmas Mother collection. Cash only, no checks.
- Supplies and Winter Party Sign-ups- be on the lookout for the sign-ups for our Winter Party as well. Each room parent will be sending out information on Myschoolanywhere site.
2. Celebrate the holidays and upcoming winter break by attending the KES Winter Music Fest, Thursday, December 13th @ 6:30pm in our gym! Enjoy an evening of song and merriment as our talented musicians, singers and dancers perform songs from the great American holiday songs collection, which you can be certain will warm your heart and put a smile on your face. That’s Thursday, December 13th @ 6:30pm in our gym and dress for the party!
3. Henrico Christmas Mother- we hope you will support our school and our community during this week of Dec. 10-14. This year, our SCA is asking for our help in supporting the Henrico Christmas Mother by asking students to donate at least $1 each day. I hope you will consider supporting this SCA project.
4. Please be advised it is an expectation that KES students go outside for recess everyday. Please keep this in mind when your child dresses for the school day. All students should come to school with the appropriate coats, hats, gloves, shoes, etc. to play outside each day. Students are not allowed to stay inside during recess time. If there are specific medical needs, and you are concerned that your child is unable to go outside, then please send in a doctor’s note to our school nurse, Ms. Mlynczak. She will follow up with you and with the classroom teacher regarding the medical need. If you have questions or concerns about this expectation, then please feel free to contact Mr. Buffkin or Mrs. Patterson.
5. Dec 18th — Jack Frost Day
- 9:00-9:30 Jack Frost Jog on the KES track ( all KES students and staff run/walk the track while listening to a festival of winter music)
- 12:15-12:45 Jack Frost Jam in the KES Gym ( all KES students and staff put on their dancing shoes and “jam” out to favorite dance songs) ** During this time, room parents will be setting up for the classroom winter party.
- 12:45-1:45 Winter Party in classrooms
6. Dec 19th- Movie and SCA Pajama Day
Before lunch, students will have the choice of watching one of three rated G movies: Wall.E, Ratatouille, Ponyo. Students will select the movie they want to see on Friday, Dec. 14th, and at the designated time the next week, students will have the opportunity to join friends from other classes and grade levels.
7. Spirit Days:
8. SPMS Visit- Our 5th graders are taking at field trip to Short Pump Middle School on
Jan. 7th from 9:30 – 11:00. A permission slip will be coming home. There is no cost and we will not need any chaperones. The purpose of the trip is to let the students have a small tour of the school and the SPMS staff will get to talk to the kids and answer any questions they may have leading up to middle school. All 5th graders are expected to attend even if they have hopes/plans to attend middle school elsewhere.
9. Chromebooks- are here! Last week our 2nd – 5th grade classrooms all received their class set of Chromebooks. We are beyond excited to have access to computers anytime we need them. We have talked to the students about taking care of our Chromebooks and reminded them that these are not allowed to go home with them. Can we get three cheers for Chromebooks?!!
13-Winter Music Fest; 6:30 PM in gym
18 –Jack Frost Jam (assembly during the school day) and winter parties KG-5
20-31 Winter Break- School Closed
1-2 Winter Break/ School Closed
3-School Resumes following Winter Break
7- SPMS field trip 9:30-11:00 AM
8-PTA Board Meeting in library 6:30-7:30 PM
21-Schools Closed/Student Holiday
31-CHANGE OF DATE: International Festival sponsored by the PTA
FEBRUARY Random Acts of Kindness Month at KES
1-World Read Aloud Day
5-PTA Board Meeting in library 6:30-7:30 PM
6-PTA Spirit Event at Boomerang
7-Parent Conferences 2:30-6:00
21-Family Fun and Fitness Night