This Week in Room 12
In Reading, our class continued drawing conclusions/making inferences in a fiction text. Inferences are educated guesses about something from a text where students will need to use their prior knowledge and clues from the text. Conclusions are judgments or a decisions that is made after reading a text. The students enjoyed reading books The Stranger and A Bad Day at Riverbend a to make inferences and draw conclusions.
In Math, our class focused on practicing the multiplication of two digit by two digit (34 x 89) multiplication. We also reviewed how to multiply two digit by one digit numbers (89 x 6) and three by one digit numbers (231 x 9). Our class also talked how we can double numbers or skip count to find the answer to basic multiplication facts in order to correctly solve the problems. Students know it is important to take their time and think about each step carefully.
In Writing, students continued to write one or two paragraphs of writing focused on writing a letter to persuade family members or more settlers to come and settle in Jamestown. Our class learned how to write the introduction with a hook, then come up with 3 strong reasons on why their family or other settlers should join them in Jamestown, and wrap up their writing with a strong conclusion. The students are being so creative!
In Science, we began a new unit focusing on the planets in the solar system. Students learned facts about each of the 8 planets along with having a great discussion on why Pluto is no longer a planet. Our class also learned sayings that help them to remember the planets in order from smallest to largest, largest to smallest, and the order of planets from the closest to the farthest from the sun.
Next week in Room 12
In Reading, students will focus on making inferences in a non fiction text. Our class will continue to make connections between their background knowledge as well as what they read in a text to make inferences and draw conclusions.
In Math, students will continue to focus on multiplication. Our main focus will be students learning how to multiply two digit by two digit (23 x 45) using the standard algorithm. Students will complete various Thanksgiving themed math problems. Feel free to access the YouTube channel for step by step instructions on how to multiply whole numbers.
In Writing, students will continue to work on their Bride Ship persuasive writing by editing their rough drafts to have a completed final draft with correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and creative word choice.
In Science, our class will review our solar system unit by playing Kahoot and completing solar system project with pictures and facts about each planet.
In VA Studies, students will learn about the Thanksgiving Holiday.
Upcoming Assessments and Projects
- Monday, November 19: Vocabulary Test – Vocabulary Nov.12
- Tuesday: November 20: Math Multiplication Quiz
Upcoming Happenings and Events
- PTO Spirit Night at Panera: Friday, November 16
- Picture Day – Monday, November 19
- Report Cards Sent Home – Tuesday, November 20
- Classroom Awards Celebration – Tuesday, November 20 from 1:30 to 2:00
- Thanksgiving Break – Wednesday, November 21st to Friday, November 23rd
- Winter Break – Thursday, December 20th to Wednesday, January 2, School Reopens on the January 3, 2019.
- Graded papers and behavior & learning form (neon yellow form) will go home on Friday’s in the students Blue Trevvett folder. Please check this in case there is anything that needs to be signed and returned. The neon yellow formed needs to be returned every Monday after it is reviewed.
- Christmas Mother Food Drive flyer
- Miss Bauer’s Math YouTube Channel
- Follow us on Twitter to see pictures of the learning and fun we are having in Room 12: @MissKellyBauer
- Thank you for your continued support at home with your child. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at Trevvett Elementary at 804-261-5060 for any questions or concerns.