Thanks to all the families that came out to meet with Miss Capano and I during Parent/Teacher conferences! We thoroughly enjoyed seeing you all and discussing all the growth we’re seeing! Your support and devotion to your student’s progress is much appreciated. We’re excited for what the remainder of the year holds!
We had a BLAST meeting NBC12 meteorologist, Megan Wise, earlier this week! We learned all about what meteorologists do, what it looks like behind the scenes, and how weather is predicted! Be sure to check the news tomorrow morning and Megan Wise’s Facebook page to see our photos! We’re famous!
Today was our FIRST Market Day of the year! Students sold and bought handmade items or services in exchange for hard-earned class bucks. We were impressed by the amount of showed creativity, entrepreneurial skills, and kindness that we saw today! I am looking forward to our next one at the end of Quarter 2!
A LOOK INTO ROOM 8:
Reading- We began our unit on nonfiction text structures. Nonfiction text structures are ways that author’s organize information to better convey their thoughts. The structures we studied this week were sequence (also know as sequential order & chronological order) and compare/contrast. The students analyzed nonfiction text that use these structures to better understand their meaning. Next week we will explore the final two structures, problem/solution and cause/effect!
Writing- Students began working on a multi-paragraph essay by using the hamburger essay method. This is a helpful way to help us organize our essay and the kids love the idea of writing a hamburger! Over the next few weeks, we will be writing about our favorite place to eat and describing three reasons why this it’s our favorite. I look forward to reading the final essays!
Social Studies- We began our unit on US Geography. Over the remainder of the year we will be exploring the regions of the United States. This week we discussed the five themes of geography and how these themes will be the lens through which we analyze the regions. Next week we will begin our first region, the Southeast!
Math & Science– Visit Miss Capano’s blog to read what students did in math and science this week!
A GLANCE AT NEXT WEEK:
- MATH: Decimals & Fractions
- SCIENCE: Weather
- READING: Nonfiction Text Structures
- WRITING: Multi-paragraph Writing
- SOCIAL STUDIES: Southeast Region States & Capitals
- Monday 11/12: PAW Achievement Field Trip to see Junie B Jones play at Hermitage HS!!! This is a FREE trip, but students need signed permission forms (sent home Wednesday) in order to attend. Parents are welcome to chaperone. Please contact me if interested!
- Tuesday 11/13: Veteran’s Day Assembly
- Wednesday 11/14: Luray Caverns/JMU Field Trip!!!!Please note these reminders (sent home today).
- Friday, 11/16:
- Reading Assessment
- Forms and $4 Fee for YMCA Trip Due
- IB Applications Due
- PTO Spirit Night at Panera
NEWS & EVENTS:
- YMCA Field Trip: On November 30th our class will travel to the Northside YMCA for an aquatic safety lesson to support Mr. Holscher’s PE content. Please return signed permission forms (sent home on Wednesday) and the $4 fee by next Friday, 11/16. Contact me with questions. Chaperones are welcome (for FREE)!
- Christmas Mother: Trevvett is collecting non-perishable food items November 12-16 to support Henrico Christmas Mother. We need canned food, crackers, cereal, pasta, and peanut butter. Please send in what you can! Click here for details.