Happy Friday!You and your students may have noticed that our Friday folders are looking a bit thinner. Well now that students have their own chromebooks, 5th grade has begun to make most assignments digital! Want to keep tabs on your student’s grades, assignments, and look to see what is missing? Follow the steps below to get to Schoology and contact me with questions!
- Visit https://clever.com/in/henrico.
- Ask your child to log in with his/her hcps username.
- Select blue Schoology icon.
- Select Courses (at the top) and pick any course.
- Under Materials, you can see your child’s current and past due assignments. Click the assignment to see his/her submission.
- Under Grades, you can see your child’s scores (note not all Schoology assignments are recorded in my gradebook in PowerSchool). Click any assignments to review them.
A LOOK INTO ROOM 8:
Reading- We continued our unit on figurative language, poetry, and author’s choice of words. The students are really starting to get the hang of it! During our reading of The Weight of Water this week, the students explored such figurative language as onomatopoeia, metaphor, and simile in this free verse poem. I love seeing the interest students are showing in this unit!Writing- Students began working on revising and editing their work. We discussed the importance of revising your work to make it stronger versus editing your work to make it look better. For the remainder of the semester we will continue drafting and revising/editing our writing to make it the best it can be.Social Studies- We began our unit on the Midwest region of the United States. We explored the states and capitals of the region as well as the climate, natural resources, and economic activities. Students should begin reviewing their study guide and notes as well as the states and capitals as they prepare for the Midwest states and capitals quiz next Thursday.
Math & Science- Visit Miss Capano’s blog to read what students did in math and science this week!
A GLANCE AT NEXT WEEK:
- MATH: Quadrilaterals, Circles, & Transformations
- SCIENCE: Sound
- READING: Figurative Language
- WRITING: Revising & Editing
- SOCIAL STUDIES: Midwest Region of the US
UPCOMING NEXT WEEK:
- Monday, 3/11: Henrico Survey opens. Parents are asked to submit their opinions on the 2019 Henrico Schools Survey at https://henricoschools.us/surveys/ between March 11-29. Fifth graders will also complete this survey at school unless you returned an opt-out form.
- Friday, 3/15: Aquarium Field Trip. Drop off at 7:00 AM and pick up at 5:00 PM. Click here for reminders!
NEWS & REMINDERS:
- Field Trip Update: We will be BUSY for the remainder of the month of March! This week a flyer was sent home about our three field trips as well as our upcoming Young Scientists visits. Please return the attached permission forms ASAP, along with $20 for Young Scientists (or pay online). We need chaperones for the VCU Market Day trip! We are headed to VCU’s Siegel Center with hundreds of other students, so the more adults the merrier! The trip is 3/26 from 9 AM – 1 PM. Please contact me if you can make it!
- MobyMax March Madness: All Trevvett students are challenged to focus on math fact fluency in the month of March! Fifth graders are tasked with mastering multiplication and division facts through 12 by the end of March. Students that earn 100% mastery in MobyMax OR practice for 1 hour a week in MobyMax will get the chance to decorate a rock garden to beautify our school grounds! Click here to see the flyer sent home last week.
- Career Exploration: Students have been exploring career fields with Mrs. Bushey in preparation for Career Day! Check out the site www.vacareerview.org at home to find out more and save the date for Career Day on March 27th and click here for the flyer.
- Brookland Middle School Talent Show: All fifth graders and their families are invited to see Brookland Middle School’s Talent Show & Fashion Showcase on 3/22 at 6 PM at Hermitage High School. This is the same day as our field trip to Hermitage, so your child can show you what he/she did that day! Check out this flyer for details!
- Camp Innovation: Check out this flyer for details about Camp Innovation summer offerings at the Math Science Innovation Center!