Thank you for attending the Parent Homework Workshop

Thank you to those parents who came out on Wednesday, December 2nd to learn about getting involved and helping your child with homework.

We had a good turn out of 20 adults!  Thank you to Renee Soniat of the Family & Educator Resource Center for coming out to speak to our parents.

Here are some helpful tips:

1. Try to minimize distractions.  TV is off and keep younger siblings occupied.
  2. Have your child work alone, but be available if they have questions.
  3. Ask  your child questions about their homework so you know what they are working on and to show that you are interested in what they are learning.
  4. Choose a quiet homework space and have a consistent time for doing homework.
  5. Have a consistent place to show off your child’s work like refrigerator or a sliding glass door.
  6. Praise your child often and focus on their strengths.
  7. Send positive messages to your children about their education.  Refrain from negative talk.
  8. Ask specific questions about school such as, “What book did you read today?” or “What did you like best about the book?” or What was the problem and did the characters solve it?”

The Family & Educator Resource Center is located at 5919 Nine Mile Road or call #328-8117.